Install LibreNMS on Raspbian

I put LibreNMS into production as the sole NMS last month. I am very happy with it in the company I am currently working for. This company’s IT Infrastructure is 100% on-prem. I have LibreNMS, Oxidized and GateOne running on Virtual Machines on a SCALE Virtual Host. Rock solid, it’s working great.

I accepted a position at another company managing IT but this company is almost 100% cloud based. But I still want to be able to run an NMS to monitor switches, firewalls, etc. at ten sites.

My grand idea was to try to install LibreNMS on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and drop them on each site and later figure out how to use them as forwarders to a central LibreNMS in the cloud.

I was expecting some challenges but it was SMOOTH AS SILK.

Raspberry Pi 3 B+ loaded with Raspbian.
I followed this guide to install LibreNMS and it installed without an issue.

https://docs.librenms.org/Installation/Installation-Ubuntu-1604-Apache/

1 Like

Do you mind posting a guide on how you did it?

Lot of ppl will benefit from that!

PS: Distributed polling is not meant for that, but it does the job when you have several locations with devices without public ip. Be aware that some functionalities will not work, like real-time graphs from remote polled devices.

I will when I reload it again. It is working really well except for one issue. When trying to save changes in the Global Config I keep getting “ERROR: No config item”.

Documented!

Nice!

If you move those rpi to be distributed pollers for a central node, dont forget to update the guide!

Unable to complete the /install.php stage.

Everything appears to go smoothly, up until the import of sql.

Output from the webpage:

Starting Update…
SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table ‘alert_schedulables’ already exists (SQL: create table alert_schedulables (item_id int unsigned not null auto_increment primary key, schedule_id int unsigned not null, alert_schedulable_id int unsigned not null, alert_schedulable_type varchar(255) not null) default character set utf8 collate ‘utf8_unicode_ci’)

Error!

Pi3B - Raspbian Buster Lite
Minimal image based on Debian Buster
Version: July 2019
Release date: 2019-07-10
Kernel version: 4.19
Clean image onto SD card via etcher

Any ideas or clues as to where its falling over would be amazing. mySQL is not my strong suit.

The install hasn’t completed, no config.php created and no log file created either.
If I make a copy of the config.php.default and make is use that, the login page opens, but the db hasn’t been imported, so I get a uh oh page when trying to login.

Cheers,

managed to get this running by following the NGINX install guide.
here
https://www.layloyar.com/2019/04/how-to-install-and-configure-librenms-ubuntu-18-04.html
and

when getting the 502 error on webpage - nginx log showed the path to version of php was incorrect.
Finding it very slow running on rPi 3B - looks like the SD card and RAM aren’t cutting it.