24.5.0 performance

Hey All,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank whichever developers had a hand in improving the Web UI performance so dramatically in 24.5.0. :slightly_smiling_face:

Quite some time ago - maybe a year or more now there was an update or series of updates that seemed to impact the performance of the WebUI, ever since then and right up until yesterday the WebUI has been quite sluggish for me.

Typically clicking on a link, for example Devices->All Devices->Network would take about 2 seconds of address bar spinner before anything visible would happen, then when the page did start to load it would take another 3 seconds or so to fully load, so around 5 seconds per page load for something like the devices list.

When this first happened all that time ago I did some troubleshooting but wasn’t able to identify any issues with the system that LibreNMS was running on and put it down to some kind of database query issue, but it has persisted all this time, and over time I just got used to it being slow.

The system auto updated to 24.5.0 last night and I’m blown away by how fast it is now, page loads are basically instant.

According to the profiler in Google Chrome the initial response is in around 100ms and the complete page is loaded in 600-700ms.

This is a huge improvement over the near 5 seconds I was seeing as recently as yesterday and I’m pretty sure that this is faster than it used to be before it slowed down a year or so ago as well.

For reference the system it is running on is a desktop class 4 core AMD A10-9700 RADEON R7 with 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, running Ubuntu 22.04, using nginx for the webserver and MariaDB 10.6.

2 Likes

AFAIK, there were no web page performance improvements.

If you ever see that again, there are some nice tools to debug it:

1. web dev tools in chrome to measure which requests take longest
  2. Laravel debugbar in LibreNMS to check backend query time and other things: Getting Started - LibreNMS Docs

Thanks, I’ll have a look at the debug bar if I see slow performance again.

I got the impression the issue was related to database query performance not the Web front end as such. Where there any database schema changes or changes to database queries being made by the UI perhaps ? Locking changes ?

The difference was pretty substantial and enough to make me sit up and take notice.