Add hysteresis to port traffic alerts?

Hi Everyone,

I have an alert that triggers when a switch port averages >80% utilisation over a 5 minute polling period as below:

However as network traffic tends to fluctuate it can happen sometimes that when a device is legitimately using a lot of bandwidth the reported usage can fluctuate a little above and below 80% each polling period and this results in a lot of alert and alert recovered alerts being sent out.

To avoid this I’d like to add some hysteresis to the threshold - so that the port goes into alert state when the usage goes above 80%, but does not clear alert state until usage drops below 50%.

However I can’t see any obvious way to define different thresholds for setting and clearing alerts. Can anyone suggest a way to do this ?

If there is a property I can check within the alert rules that indicates whether the alert is already active or not, I might be able to do it with some nested and/or logic (different threshold depending on whether the alert is already active) but I don’t know if there is such a property that I can check, and whether that property updates before or after the rule checks are done.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.