Alerts not sending over SMTP

I almost can’t believe I’m having to ask something so basic, but after days of searching through this forum and the documentation and finding no relief, here I am…

Alerts are not sending over email (tcpdump suggests that they aren’t even trying to send). They are showing up as expected in the Notifications and Alert History. I have a transport set up that works when I do the test thing (and I can see that conversation with the SMTP server using tcpdump). I’m just using the built-in alert rules. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here’s the output of ./validate.php:

===========================================

Component Version
LibreNMS 24.1.0 (2024-01-07T09:49:52-06:00)
DB Schema 2023_12_15_105529_access_points_nummonbssid_integer (276)
PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.13
Python 3.10.6
Database MariaDB 10.6.12-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
RRDTool 1.7.2
SNMP 5.9.1
===========================================

[OK] Composer Version: 2.6.6
[OK] Dependencies up-to-date.
[OK] Database connection successful
[OK] Database Schema is current
[OK] SQL Server meets minimum requirements
[OK] lower_case_table_names is enabled
[OK] MySQL engine is optimal
[OK] Database and column collations are correct
[OK] Database schema correct
[OK] MySQl and PHP time match
[OK] Active pollers found
[OK] Dispatcher Service is enabled
[OK] Locks are functional
[OK] Python wrapper cron entry is not present
[OK] Redis is unavailable
[OK] rrd_dir is writable
[OK] rrdtool version ok

Yep, I’ve already been down that road. The Capture, Alert test does say that the alert rule matches. Which isn’t a surprise, since as I said, I am seeing the alerts in Alert Notifications. Similarly, the test-alert.php script says that it’s “Attempting to email Alert…” to the addresses that I have configured. I just never get that email, and the tcpdump that I have running never even shows an attempt (although it does show the back and forth when I test the transport itself).

Can you post the output from the tests pls.

Sure…

and then:

librenms@rk-librenms:~/scripts$ ./test-alert.php -h 351 -r 1 -d
SQL[SELECT alerts.id, alerts.alerted, alerts.device_id, alerts.rule_id, alerts.state, alerts.note, alerts.info FROM alerts WHERE alerts.device_id = 351 && alerts.rule_id = 1 [] 0.51ms]

SQL[SELECT alert_log.id,alert_log.rule_id,alert_log.device_id,alert_log.state,alert_log.details,alert_log.time_logged,alert_rules.rule,alert_rules.severity,alert_rules.extra,alert_rules.name,alert_rules.query,alert_rules.builder,alert_rules.proc FROM alert_log,alert_rules WHERE alert_log.rule_id = alert_rules.id && alert_log.device_id = ? && alert_log.rule_id = ? && alert_rules.disabled = 0 ORDER BY alert_log.id DESC LIMIT 1 [351,1] 0.61ms]

SQL[SELECT DISTINCT a.* FROM alert_rules a
        LEFT JOIN alert_device_map d ON a.id=d.rule_id AND (a.invert_map = 0 OR a.invert_map = 1 AND d.device_id = ?)
        LEFT JOIN alert_group_map g ON a.id=g.rule_id AND (a.invert_map = 0 OR a.invert_map = 1 AND g.group_id IN (SELECT DISTINCT device_group_id FROM device_group_device WHERE device_id = ?))
        LEFT JOIN alert_location_map l ON a.id=l.rule_id AND (a.invert_map = 0 OR a.invert_map = 1 AND l.location_id IN (SELECT DISTINCT location_id FROM devices WHERE device_id = ?))
        LEFT JOIN devices ld ON l.location_id=ld.location_id AND ld.device_id = ?
        LEFT JOIN device_group_device dg ON g.group_id=dg.device_group_id AND dg.device_id = ?
        WHERE a.disabled = 0 AND (
            (d.device_id IS NULL AND g.group_id IS NULL AND l.location_id IS NULL)
            OR (a.invert_map = 0 AND (d.device_id=? OR dg.device_id=? OR ld.device_id=?))
            OR (a.invert_map = 1  AND (d.device_id != ? OR d.device_id IS NULL) AND (dg.device_id != ? OR dg.device_id IS NULL) AND (ld.device_id != ? OR ld.device_id IS NULL))
        ) [351,351,351,351,351,351,351,351,351,351,351] 1.45ms]

SQL[select * from `devices` where `device_id` = ? limit 1 [351] 0.52ms]

SQL[select * from `devices_attribs` where `devices_attribs`.`device_id` = ? and `devices_attribs`.`device_id` is not null [351] 0.45ms]

SQL[select * from `device_perf` where `device_perf`.`device_id` = ? and `device_perf`.`device_id` is not null order by `timestamp` desc limit 1 [351] 0.49ms]

SQL[select * from `alert_templates` where exists (select * from `alert_template_map` where `alert_templates`.`id` = `alert_template_map`.`alert_templates_id` and `alert_rule_id` = ?) limit 1 [1] 0.36ms]

SQL[select * from `alert_templates` where `name` = ? limit 1 ["Default Alert Template"] 0.34ms]

Reporting disabled by user setting
Issuing Alert-UID #20063/2:
SQL[SELECT `rule_id` FROM `alerts` WHERE `id`=? [3307] 0.36ms]

SQL[SELECT b.transport_id, b.transport_type, b.transport_name FROM alert_transport_map AS a LEFT JOIN alert_transports AS b ON b.transport_id=a.transport_or_group_id WHERE a.target_type='single' AND a.rule_id=? UNION DISTINCT SELECT d.transport_id, d.transport_type, d.transport_name FROM alert_transport_map AS a LEFT JOIN alert_transport_groups AS b ON a.transport_or_group_id=b.transport_group_id LEFT JOIN transport_group_transport AS c ON b.transport_group_id=c.transport_group_id LEFT JOIN alert_transports AS d ON c.transport_id=d.transport_id WHERE a.target_type='group' AND a.rule_id=? [1,1] 0.44ms]

:: Transport mail => SQL[select * from `alert_transports` where `alert_transports`.`transport_id` = ? limit 1 [3] 0.27ms]

Attempting to email Alert for device 172.25.9.200 - Device Down! Due to no ICMP response. got acknowledged to: [email protected]
OKSQL[insert into `eventlog` (`reference`, `type`, `datetime`, `severity`, `message`, `username`, `device_id`) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) [null,"alert","2024-01-11 17:32:00",3,"Issued acknowledgment for rule 'Device Down! Due to no ICMP response.' to transport 'mail'","",351] 0.38ms]

:: Transport mail => SQL[select * from `alert_transports` where `alert_transports`.`transport_id` = ? limit 1 [4] 0.3ms]

Attempting to email Alert for device 172.25.9.200 - Device Down! Due to no ICMP response. got acknowledged to: [email protected]
OKSQL[insert into `eventlog` (`reference`, `type`, `datetime`, `severity`, `message`, `username`, `device_id`) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) [null,"alert","2024-01-11 17:32:00",3,"Issued acknowledgment for rule 'Device Down! Due to no ICMP response.' to transport 'mail'","",351] 0.23ms]

Can you screenshot (obfuscate what you need) from settings/alerting/email in the webui

It’s a real head scratcher, eh? I’m basically to the point where I’m either going to try a reinstall, or Observium.

It’s probably not libre related honestly. These things typically are network related. Have you checked all the things you needed to from a network/firewall level?

I thought that myself, after trying everything else and having no luck. That’s why I’m running a continuous tcpdump listening for anything on tcp port 25. When I test the transport that I have set up, I see the conversation with the mail server in that tcpdump. I never see anything there when an alert should be sent. This leads me to believe that this is, in fact, a problem with LibreNMS.

librenms or linux? Did you open up the ports on your linux server?

I’m using the packaged up VM from LibreNMS. Surely any port opening that needed to be done would have already been done? At any rate, let me say again: when I test the transport that I have set up, I do see the conversation with the mail server on the tcpdump I have running locally on the LibreNMS VM. I never see such a conversation when an alert fires.

OK, switching gears here…

Does anybody know where I can go to get paid support for LibreNMS?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.