All devices randomly show offline but resetting librenms nic card "fixes"

Hello all, I’ve been using Librenms for about 4 weeks now and have had a reoccurring issue… at random times, I’ll get warnings that all my devices are offline. However, they are not, I can connect to all of them (I have 52 devices on my network that I monitor).

They will remain “offline” for a random time (normally a couple hours), then come back online.

If I restart the Librenms server, they are back online once the server starts back up. If I reset the NIC card (turn it off and on again in the GUI), and manually run ./poller.php -h all, they begin coming back online as it polls. If I try this without resetting the NIC card, the poll fails.

This server was running on a dell R420 with 64gb memory / dual xeon … but had the issue there, so I installed on a HyperV VM in order to try and trouble shoot with known good hardware.

Any help would be appreciated… I thought my internet gateway (I use untangle) was blocking or limiting snmp (port 161) in some way, but I have that protocol bypassing any scanning it might be doing.

I’ve put the output to the validate below. Thanks in advance, Tim

./validate.php output:
root@libreNMS:/opt/librenms# ./validate.php

Component Version
LibreNMS 1.54-29-gcec10c1d3
DB Schema 2019_07_09_150217_update_users_widgets_settings (140)
PHP 7.2.19-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
MySQL 10.1.40-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
RRDTool 1.7.0
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.3

====================================

[OK] Composer Version: 1.9.0
[OK] Dependencies up-to-date.
[OK] Database connection successful
[OK] Database schema correct
root@libreNMS:/opt/librenms#

How did the test go on the HyperV VM?

Make sure the Dell R420 has up-to-date NIC firmware drivers, i think they used to have issues.

The hyper v has the same issue… Random “disconnects”. I’m at a loss, and hoping someone can throw me a bone :slight_smile:

There are 3 devices that never report offline, they are also vms that run on a server that does show offline in lebrenms… So the vms are online, but the host shows offline… Baffling…

Tim