Anyone installed LibreNMS on a Pi?

Hello,

I’ve been playing with LibreNMS at work on a VM, but would love to have it at home too, do you know if it works on a Pi? I will only be monitoring maybe 15 devices mostly by ICMP and a few via SNMP.

If so do you also have any addons/plugins?

Thanks

I monitor 22 (6 icmp, 16snmp) devices on my rpi4b 4gb on raspbian buster (installed by the guide for ubuntu 18.04 + nginx, note that on raspbian 9 several required versions of apps form the guide are missing) and it works well, although at times (esp if you access it when it’s just polling) it can take up to 10-15 sec for the page to load. Default 5min polling works best, 1min polling overloads it. 1min icmp ping polling works fine.

Few observations:

• make sure you use proper power source, at first I used leftover phone charger and had issues with undervoltage
  • make sure you use fast sd card, at first I used some cheapo one and it kept stalling even during apt update, with samsung evo sd card (the quickest I’ve benchmarked from the bunch I had laying around) it’s reasonably quick. Hint: you’ll know the card is too slow for sure if it times out during importing the sql db during intial librenms setup via install.php)
  • tried on rpi3b+ 1gb, with the quick sd card too - do not even bother, 1gb ram ain’t cutting it.

I use graylog to filter the useless mumbo jumbo from the syslog and then display the rest in lnms, the full syslog for all devices is also forwarded from graylog back to lnms in order for the syslog based alert rules to work.

this is how my dashboard looks:
https://turbomrak.ddns.net/s/B86QJ4qJ5AW2Yme

I used to run lnms in vm where it was ofc much more faster and snappy, but this way it monitors even when I tinker with my homelab.

tl;dr - yes, but only on the rpi4b and I wouldn’t go under 2gb of ram.

Hi,

Just got myself a Pi4 (4GB) and tried to install LibreNMS but it didn’t go well as I think I used the wrong install guide. Would you mind sharing the link you used to install it?

Thanks

Hi, re-reading what I wrote I actually mentioned wrong guide, I used the ubuntu 18.04 + nginx guide (https://docs.librenms.org/Installation/Installation-Ubuntu-1804-Nginx/). I remember trying to install according to it on raspbian 9 and it didn’t work, however on the raspbian 10 it worked perfect step by step (I recently did clean reinstall according to it).

Furthermore I much improved the overall lnms performance by moving the root to external usb ssd drive (ran into this issue https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=245931#p1501426 in my environment, something to keep in mind if you decide to go this way, as when I originally tried this approach I didn’t know about it and the combination of enclosure+ssd I was using was giving speeds worse than sdcard without the workaround from the post)

edit: I remember one thing, during the guide when you reach the point where you adjust the acls for the librenms folders, it will error out with ‘setfacl command not found’ you need to install it via ‘apt install acl’