Cannot add a device (SNMP fails) but can get data via snmpget from CLI

The creation of the new device is refused with the following error:

Could not connect to 192.168.8.74, please check the snmp details and snmp reachability
SNMP v1: No reply with community public

However, the device is accessible from CLI and it replies to snmpget command when a specific OID is specified:

root@librenms:/home/jager# snmpget -v1 -c public 192.168.8.74 1.3.6.1.4.1.29165.1.3.2.2.0
iso.3.6.1.4.1.29165.1.3.2.2.0 = STRING: " 27.36"
root@librenms:/home/jager# snmpget -v1 -c public 192.168.8.74 1.3.6.1.4.1.29165.1.3.2.1.0
iso.3.6.1.4.1.29165.1.3.2.1.0 = STRING: “153.88”

Snmpwalk is returning a blank result:
root@librenms:/home/jager# snmpwalk -v1 -c public 192.168.8.74
root@librenms:/home/jager#

The device is is a satellite antenna controller, unfortunately there is no way to get any help from the manufacturer. I am still able to monitor this device using PRTG, as adding the device and setting the sensor parameters does not verify the device before it adds it to the pooler.

I can though add the device in LibreNMS with “Force add” though, but it is shown as “down” immediately after creation with the following error in the events:

Device status changed to Down from snmp check.

I have added the Custom OID (the one which works with snmpget in CLI), but even in that case the device stays “DOWN”

I am new to LibreNMS, and I assume that the device is not replying to some of the standard SNMP commands sent to it at the moment before it would be included in the pooler. Unfortunately the device is “as is”, no updates are possible, neither there is any support from the manufacturer available any more. Is there any way to overcome this issue by manually overriding the SNMP check to be somehow considered as “passed”?

All other devices I have added are working fine (over 20 various devices - not a single problem). I have used both SNMP v1 and v2c.

I would like to finally move from PRTG to LibreNMS, but this one thing is a major showstopper.

Thank you all very much for your kind help!

Best regards,
Jager

Hi everyone,

Pity no reply still :slight_smile:

I have faced the absolutely same problem with another device. This is from a totally different manufacturer, but the behavior is the same - I cannot add the device as it fails the initial SNMP check. I can add it only if I chose “force save” option. I can add specific OIDs and they pass the test.
From LibreNMS server’s CLI I can issue snmpwalk command but the result is empty.
Interestingly, both troublesome devices are using SNMP Version 1. Maybe there is a general problem in LibreNMS and v1 ?
I thank you very much for any hint what to try and how to overcome this issue.

The problem is your device. It does not respond to the oid LibreNMS checks for snmp connectivity, which every snmp implementation should respond to. SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0

Just check the force add button and it will add. I doubt you will get anything useful from the device though.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer!

I know the problem is my device. However the device is “as-is”, without any firmware update nor any support available.

But I still can get data from it! using SNMP! What is interesting is that I actually CAN query the device for specific OIDs and it responds properly. When I force add the device and assign a Custom OID, the test passes correctly and the value is shown.
Screenshot 2022-10-07 at 11.37.46

I need to find a way to include this device in the poller. It replies to PING, it replies to snmpget, but you’re right, it does not responds properly to the initial checks by LibreNMS

Is there any way to force add this device to poller and use the Custom OIDs I will manually define? I was hoping that force add will do exactly this, but the device is still shown as “down”, despite it is “pingable” and it responds to custom defined OIDs

1 Like

Anybody? Please? :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.