Can't get emails to work

Hi,

I am unable to get emails from my installation when devices alert. First off, is there a quick easy way to test whether the smtp portion is indeed working? I have my settings in place under the Global setting > Alerting settings > Email options, but I’m not sure that they are functioning properly. Is there a log that stores mail send attempts?

I have a transport setup with my email address in a mail transport and it is set as default. All alert templates show this transport.

Thanks for any guidance. I appreciate it.

Hi, I am not an expert by any means, but I had similar issues getting emails out of my Librenms system so I can only point you in the direction of what worked for me. I know how frustrating it can be if you aren’t used to working with Linux systems.
Unfortunately, it does depend on what flavour of Linux you are using. I am using Ubuntu so installing Postfix as in this article https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-postfix-as-a-send-only-smtp-server-on-ubuntu-16-04 helped a lot, and gives instructions on how to test the installation from the Linux command line.
I hope that helps.