Can't start mariadb after upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04

After updating to 20.04 I can’t start the mariadb service. I’m very far from a Linux expert, so I’m hoping I haven’t messed this up beyond repair.

After the upgrade I tried following the install steps for 20.04 to get things going again, but when I get to starting mariadb, it fails. All the packages were able to be installed. I’m hoping I missed something simple. Or if there’s some way to export a backup of my database (like I should have done before the upgrade…) and start over fresh, that may be easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the output of systemctl status mariadb and journalctl -xe

OUTPUT
root@adam-ubuntu:/opt/librenms# systemctl restart mariadb
Job for mariadb.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status mariadb.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
root@adam-ubuntu:/opt/librenms# systemctl status mariadb
● mariadb.service - MariaDB 10.3.25 database server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/mysql.service.d
└─override.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-11-17 17:23:12 EST; 4s ago
Docs: man:mysqld(8)
*****://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/systemd/
Process: 31576 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -m 755 -o mysql -g root -d /var/run/mysqld (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 31582 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c systemctl unset-environment _WSREP_START_POSITION (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 31598 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ ! -e /usr/bin/galera_recovery ] && VAR= || VAR=`cd /usr/bin/…; /usr/bin/galera_recovery>
Process: 31664 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/mysqld $MYSQLD_OPTS $_WSREP_NEW_CLUSTER $_WSREP_START_POSITION (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 31664 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 17 17:23:11 adam-ubuntu systemd[1]: Starting MariaDB 10.3.25 database server…
– Subject: A start job for unit mariadb.service has begun execution
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: ****://www.ubuntu.com/support

– A start job for unit mariadb.service has begun execution.

– The job identifier is 4947.
Nov 17 17:23:11 adam-ubuntu mysqld[31664]: 2020-11-17 17:23:11 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.3.25-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) star>
Nov 17 17:23:12 adam-ubuntu systemd[1]: mariadb.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
– Subject: Unit process exited

– An ExecStart= process belonging to unit mariadb.service has exited.

– The process’ exit code is ‘exited’ and its exit status is 1.
Nov 17 17:23:12 adam-ubuntu systemd[1]: mariadb.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
– Subject: Unit failed

– The unit mariadb.service has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘exit-code’.
Nov 17 17:23:12 adam-ubuntu systemd[1]: Failed to start MariaDB 10.3.25 database server.
– Subject: A start job for unit mariadb.service has failed

– A start job for unit mariadb.service has finished with a failure.

– The job identifier is 4947 and the job result is failed.

You might want to “cat /var/log/mysql/error.log” to see if anything shows up.

MariaDB is basically mysql so the following works https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-backup-excerpt/5.7/en/mysqldump-sql-format.html

I would leave this machine as is for now and just build a new on if you have the resources. Its probably not a major issue you’re having, but without seeing more log files or trying to run mariadb manually hard to tell what the issue is.