Check_MK_Agent Windows Monitoring

Hello everyone!
I would like to monitor our Windows server with Librenms.
But without SNMP because SNMP v3 is no longer supported by Server 2016/19.

Somehow I don’t get the check_mk agent to work either. Can anyone give me a help?

I already checked firewall settings for port 6556 on both machines and activate Unix-Agent in Polar Modules etc. But no data send to my librenms Server?

I wound up using NSClient++ it has the modules you need built in and has several security options. You do have to enable the modules after installing it. With Check_MK you have to download the specific modules you want and set them up correctly. To be honest though I only use it for monitoring services on a server. That was pretty complex in and of itself took a few days and a lot of googling. Without SNMP not sure you would get a lot of usable information. Librenms is a fork of Observium, Librenms is better than observium in several ways. However Observium allows built in WMI checking utilizing its free version and its pay version is only a couple hundred dollars a year. Zabbix is confusing as F but it is also free and has a client you install on the windows server. These might be better options if you aren’t wanting to use SNMP.

The image below is the command for NSClient++ if\when you get it working the obfuscated parts are the password and the name of the service ( blocked out the name of the service as it is specific to an application)

Thank you for the detailed feedback!

Then I will maybe look at the other solutions again, but actually I like Librenms very, very much or I have to try it with the NSClient ++.

I like LibreNMS too and use it to monitor our school. Only mentioned the others due to you stating you didn’t want to use SNMP. I wish that LibreNMS would include WMI, I have no idea why they wont as this is a fork of observium which has the capabilities. Librenms, give you far more freedom though and ties into more 3rd party goodies - like Oxidized (another difficult but worthwhile application).

I typically use LibreNMS more for network monitoring. I was using Zabbix for servers, but then found that I really didn’t care\need to know much more than up\down and basic stats and LibreNMS provides that through SNMP. I made our community string super long after figuring it out.

Additionally, I think there are some 3rd party apps that will bring SNMP v3 to windows.

To use NSClient++ you have to figure out how to use it as well. So you basically have to figure out how to use both applications. Once installed find the NSClient++ -ini- file you will see a list of servers that can access NSClient and a list of modules that will be by default disabled. Enable the ones you want and try checking them with various commands.

Best of luck to you, if I can help in the future I would be glad too, but I am still pretty novice and usually figure things out through trial and error, googling and patience.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.