Community opinion about LibreNMS

Hello everyone,

I am making a study of monitoring tools open source based and I’d like to know from Libre’s community why did you choosen LibreNMS instead of other open source tools?

Thank’s in advanced! :grin:

Any more info around what you are going to do with this information and why? Would be happy to tweet the link to this post if it’s for the right reasons.

Hi @laf,

I’m working on an academic study of network monitoring and I choose LibreNMS to be the base for a presentation lab.

At the chapter of the LibreNMS’s presentation I’d like to quote a few words from the users about it.

I’ll be glad if you could help :grinning:

The study it self is not meant to be published publicly, but if it changes, before anything I will make contact!

Done :)…

Very involved developers, quick turn around on fixes. The UI is easy to work with, it is easy to add nodes and very stable. Regular update schedule is awesome too!

2 Likes

I was looking for more info about our network. Most solutions I came across were too complicated or too expensive.

LibreNMS was set up very quickly and I got data I wanted right out of the box. With the option to customize it to add other stuff I needed.

And here we are 2? years later…

We have routers and switches on about 100 customer sites.
It started small and I was easily able to monitor things, but when we hit around 50 sites, I realized we needed an automated way to monitor and backup those devices.

LibreNMS is free and actually quite easy to setup. (Even for someone like me with next to no experience)
I got stuck a number of times but the community was eager and willing to help.

There were things that I specifically needed that were not already in the product, so I wrote the code and submitted a PRs to get them included. (Again with lots of support from the community)

Great docs!

I’m never leaving.

I had been using Nagios + Cacti for a long long time. While they both work great and saved my neck quite a few times, I was always on the lookout for a nicer system. Tried icinga, zabbix, etc but they were as complicated as nagios. And once I installed LibreNMS I was surprised how much data I can get automatically without much effort. Also it’s not easy to break the configuration while adding hosts or groups, which is very easy on other systems. Last but not least, with other systems, according to the scenarios you face, you constantly need to create new templates, and hostgroups etc, this makes others overly complicated.