Dashboard "Alerts" widget prefers hostname instead sysName

After update to 21.12.0, “Alerts” widget doesn’t display sysName of added devices and prefers device hostname.

Here is some more info about our setup below.

• This LibreNMS server is used for monitoring VM instances.
  • Devices are added with IP address.
  • “Default device display name template” global setting is set to “Hostname, fallback to sysName for IPs”. Changing the setting to “sysName” doesn’t change the widget display.

One example screenshot.

Check the new settings for hostname display in the WebUI

I just added 127.0.0.1 as a device, changed the setting to above and now get a hostname instead of an IP.

1 Like

Hi laf,

It is already set as above.
Problem is that Alerts Widget shows “Hostname” instead of “sysName” value, to which it should fallback to when devices are added via IP address.

On our VM instances, snmpd is configured to show sysName as FQDN hostname.
After the update, Alerts Widget shows only the instance hostname, without domain part.
As seen in my picture, widget displays the device as “mail”, but device overview page still displays device as “mail.bioenergypoint.rs”.

Are you sure because if it was falling back to hostname it would show the IP?

It’s definitely set to the setting as in your picture, but I found just now what was causing this.

“Shortened hostname maximum length” under “Graph settings” was set to the default of 12. When I set it to a higher value, Alerts widget displayed FQDN for hostnames.
Pretty sure this was always set at default of 12, so I guess something changed in the last update that made it apply to the widget display too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.