Dell OS 9.13 and 9.14 BGP Polling Bug

Hi Libre community,

We currently have 720 devices on libreNMS, from different vendors, and all the devices that are performing BGP routing are being polled correctly, except for three switches.

These three switches are models S4048–ON versions 9.13 and S4810 version 9.14.
BGP Polling in our other Dell switches, from different models, running version OS10 are working perfectly.

Configurations and connectivity have been verified for what seems to be a software bug. Below is a printscreen of the BGP Routing Status followed by the discovery and poller output.
Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Hi @Stephano_Marques
You can run in CLI both the discovery.php -h <deviceID> -m bgp-peers -v -d and poller.php -h <deviceID> -m bgp-peers -v -d .

You’ll see debugging data that should help you findout what’s going on. Could be :

• A bug in LibreNMS code.
  • A bug in vendor code.
  • A limitation in vendor implementation (that is the most probable explanation).

This is where the error lies when executing the poller.php script.

bgpPeerInUpdates.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerOutUpdates.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerInTotalMessages.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerOutTotalMessages.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerFsmEstablishedTime.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerInUpdateElapsedTime.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerLocalAddr.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerLastError.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerLocalAddr.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID
bgpPeerLastError.10.160.65.6 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

This is the standard bgp MIB so if this fail, it means that the vendor does not follow the standard (either a bug or a limitation in vendor implementation)

Try to upgrade the firmware to the latest (if not done already).

And if nothing changes, then :

• LibreNMS could use a proprietary vendor MIB (if it exists) to get the values.
  • If a workaround exists for the standard MIB, LibreNMS could be patched for these 2 devices.

Patches are welcome in github.

When I run snmpwalk -v 2c -c h3ll0lansnmp -m BGP4-MIB 10.160.64.2 1.3.6.1.2.1.15
it gets all the bgp information such as:

BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState.10.160.60.2 = INTEGER: established(6)
BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState.10.160.64.1 = INTEGER: established(6)
BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState.10.160.65.6 = INTEGER: established(6)
BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState.10.160.65.22 = INTEGER: established(6)
BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState.10.160.190.2 = INTEGER: established(6)
BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState.10.164.8.2 = INTEGER: established(6)

But poller.php shows the “no instance in this OID” error and librenms can’t populate the bgp information aswell.

BGP4-MIB - 1.3.6.1.2.1.15 —> IS SUPPORTED
DELL-NETWORKING-BGP4-V2-MIB - 1.3.6.1.4.1.6027.20.1 —> IS SUPPORTED

Looks more like a libre bug because if I can poll it manually with an snmp walk, libre should also be able to. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Hi @Stephano_Marques
Then you need to compare the BGP4-MIB replies of your DELL device (failing) and any other BGP4-MIB compliant device.
If they are still completely identical, then you’ll need to start debugging the discovery code and see how it goes.
Bye

But “dell-os10” is already supported in LibreNMS. If you upgrade that switch to version 10+, should work by default.
I don’t have any dell device but i played with the code for Alcatel recently, that’s why i know.