Device Names always show on Availability Map

Are you able to implement this as additional option into Dashboard Availabilty Map Options?
I think about changing Text and Content from “Uniform Titles” with ‘no’ / ‘yes’ to
‘Display Text’ with ‘up/down’ / ‘uniform’ / ‘hostnames’

The code changes should not be such complex.

Yeah that was kinda what I thought, just having it as an extra option with the tiles, I don’t know how this complex the changes are tbh, since I’m not much of a programmer myself

I’ll take a look on it and implement this.

1 Like

Thank you!

Pull Request is out:

Hi Source Doctor

Would it be possible to be able to add Sysname?

Thanks

shouldn’t be such hard
i you like write a Pull Request with this changes :slight_smile:

did it for short …

1 Like

Thanks much appreciated

Hey! Can You add device names but on maps->availability?

Short hostname, without the domain, like in Alerts widget would be great.

1 Like

Hi SourceDoktor,

Can I ask for one more option? a Custom display name. I’m monitoring UPS’s where I don’t have access to change the hostname or systemname to something meaningful for us monitoring the devices. Being able to see a useful (custom set display name) for the device can help us make quick work of fixing issues.

I would really appreciate it if you would consider adding such a feature to the device object.

Hi BrandC,

welcome to the Community.

i’m not sure what you’re about and the cases you want to resolve with “custom display” name.
Because Hostname of a Device can be customized by yourself in Device Settings.

But feel free to write a Pull Request with the feature you think is missing.
If having problems or questions feel free to ask for it here in community or in LibreNMS Discord Chat for it.

Hi,

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. How do I do a Pull Request? I would like to state my case in full for your consideration, with the full knowledge that it may not be a feature worth spending time on.
Again thanks for listening.

This here might answer your questions on contributing on LibreNMS

https://docs.librenms.org/Developing/Getting-Started/

Hi Again,

I read through what a pull request is. I can’t code and thus can’t add a feature to code and request to add it to a branch.

I need somewhere/somehow that I can request a feature to be added to LibreNMS.

If I can maybe state my problem a bit clearer to have you guide me where to request it.

1. We monitor a large amount of UPS’s (Uninterrupted Power Supply’s) via SNMP
  2. We have no access to the UPS and thus
    2.1 The hostname is set to something that is useful to the device administrator, not to us monitoring the device
    2.2 The SystemName is set to something that is useful to the device administrator, not to us monitoring the device (also on some UPS devices firmware reports the system name incorrectly via the SNMP info)

I would like to be able to add a “Custom Name” to each device so that in the Overview->Maps->Availability View, we could see the “Custom name” instead of the IP/Hostname/SystemName that is set on the device.

OR a note field that can be seen in this view to point us faster into the right direction to which device it is.

I don’t know if this makes sense?

In any case thank you for taking the time to hear me out on this.

Hey SourceDoctor, I’m also looking for an option to set a custom name on a device independent of sysName and HostName. Ideally, the new custom name would display on the Availability Map Widget drop down “Display Text” menu.
I see that there is a “Display Name” option under the device settings page, however it does not look like I can use that field to identify the devices on the widget. Is it possible to add this field as an option in that drop down menu?

have you tried Display Name option?
Otherwise, feel free on contributing a pull request which handles your missed feature

Hey SourceDoctor, thanks for the reply.
I do see the Display Name option field which does affect how the devices name is displayed in the devices tab, however there isn’t an option for that same name to be displayed in the Availability Map widget.

If possible, could you send me in the right direction to add this feature?
Thanks for hearing me out.

i see your point.

the View Page can be found hier:
resources/views/widgets/settings/availability-map.blade.php
this should be the Controller:
app/Http/Controllers/Widgets/AvailabilityMapController.php

for further questions feel free to join LibreNMS on Discord (easier and faster in handling questions)
or ask in Development area here in forum