Distributed poller set up

One thing I just noticed is that the poller has a service I can start. I thought the cronjobs dictates everything on the polling and stuff.
http://docs.librenms.org/Extensions/Poller-Service/

Can someone tell me what’s the different between starting the service and doing cronjobs? Or do I need both running?
I started poller service via systemctl and found two identical pollers on poller drop down.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

That’s a replacement for poller-wrapper.py and discovery in cron - run only one or the other not both.

I removed the cron jobs and left the service running, the new poller shows the correct number of devices that’s associated with that poller, but the pollers is not polling.
I wonder if I have remove all devices and re-add them to the new pollers.

You don’t have to delete and re-add.

Run ./poller.php -h HOSTNAME -d for one device and see what it outputs.

I deleted some devices and try to re-adding them to a different poller. The webUI kept giving me SNMP unreachability error. Sometimes, I can only add one new device in a region but can not add another one, the errors are always SNMP unreachability.

When I try to add devices from the command line of the poller, they were added just fine.

Any clue?

If your webui is separate then it’s most likely because you aren’t allowing snmp from it, either allow it, add the device from a poller with access or just force add.

1 Like

not sure what’s wrong with the permission but forcing add is working.
Thanks @laf

Hi Murrant

For clarity (on my end), should the below be removed / commented out on all poller servers when using distributed poller environment?

$config[‘memcached’][‘enable’] = true;
$config[‘memcached’][‘host’] = “localhost”;
$config[‘memcached’][‘port’] = 11211;

And with this leaving only:

$config[‘distributed_poller_memcached_host’] = “localhost”;
$config[‘distributed_poller_memcached_port’] = 11211;

If they are both specified, what would be the expected output of librenms? Does it use more memcache? Is $config[‘memcached’] favoured over $config[‘distributed_poller_memcached’] for example?

Thanks

Did you ever get an answer on this? I have both in my config and wonder if it’s causing issues?

A post was split to a new topic: Pi and distributed polling