FAIL: Python3 module issue found: 'Required packages

Hello,

I’m trying to install LibreNMS on Debian 12 , everything is ok expect this error

FAIL: Python3 module issue found: 'Required packages: [‘PyMySQL!=1.0.0’, ‘python-dotenv’, ‘redis>=4.0’, ‘setuptools’, ‘psutil>=5.6.0’, ‘command_runner>=1.3.0’] Package not found: The ‘command_runner>=1.3.0’ distribution was not found and is required by the application ’

Fix:

pip3 install -r /opt/librenms/requirements.txt

I tried the fix then I get

error: externally-managed-environment

pip3 install -r /opt/librenms/requirements.txt

× This environment is externally managed
╰─> To install Python packages system-wide, try apt install
    python3-xyz, where xyz is the package you are trying to
    install.

If you wish to install a non-Debian-packaged Python package,
    create a virtual environment using python3 -m venv path/to/venv.
    Then use path/to/venv/bin/python and path/to/venv/bin/pip. Make
    sure you have python3-full installed.

If you wish to install a non-Debian packaged Python application,
    it may be easiest to use pipx install xyz, which will manage a
    virtual environment for you. Make sure you have pipx installed.

See /usr/share/doc/python3.11/README.venv for more information.

note: If you believe this is a mistake, please contact your Python installation or OS distribution provider. You can override this, at the risk of breaking your Pytho                                                                       n installation or OS, by passing --break-system-packages.
hint: See PEP 668 for the detailed specification.

Is there any solution for this issue ?

Best Regards

LibreNMS can work on Debian 12. It’s NOT a supported OS. It’s the first line in the install docs.

You should have an installed Linux server running one of the supported OS. Make sure you select your server’s OS in the tabbed options below

This fixed that error for me:
pip3 install command_runner --break-system-packages

ymmv

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to just install it in the librenms user’s home directory with pip3 install --user -r /opt/librenms/requirements.txt

1 Like

should be capital U (on debian at least).

librenms@pol01:~$ pwd
/opt/librenms
librenms@pol01:~$ whoami
librenms
librenms@pol01:~$ uname -a
Linux pol01 6.1.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.27-1 (2023-05-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux
librenms@pol01:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
librenms@pol01:~$ pip3 install -U -r /opt/librenms/requirements.txt

× This environment is externally managed
╰─> To install Python packages system-wide, try apt install
    python3-xyz, where xyz is the package you are trying to
    install.

If you wish to install a non-Debian-packaged Python package,
    create a virtual environment using python3 -m venv path/to/venv.
    Then use path/to/venv/bin/python and path/to/venv/bin/pip. Make
    sure you have python3-full installed.

If you wish to install a non-Debian packaged Python application,
    it may be easiest to use pipx install xyz, which will manage a
    virtual environment for you. Make sure you have pipx installed.

See /usr/share/doc/python3.11/README.venv for more information.

note: If you believe this is a mistake, please contact your Python installation or OS distribution provider. You can override this, at the risk of breaking your Python installation or OS, by passing --break-system-packages.
hint: See PEP 668 for the detailed specification.

It was supposed to be --user. I’ll edit that post.

–user still gives

This needs to be fixed if we want to support Debian 12.

what does seem to work:

librenms@pol01:~$ mkdir .venv
librenms@pol01:~$ python3 -m venv .venv/
librenms@pol01:~$ source .venv/bin/activate
librenms@pol01:~$ ./validate.php
librenms@pol01:~$ pip3 install -r requirements.txt
librenms@pol01:~$ ./validate.php

Then running the service within the venv

librenms@pol1:~$ cat /etc/systemd/system/librenms.service
[Unit]
Description=LibreNMS SNMP Poller Service
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/opt/librenms/.venv/bin/python3 librenms-service.py -v
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
WorkingDirectory=/opt/librenms
User=librenms
Group=librenms
RestartSec=10
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Your thoughts on this approach @murrant ?

venv is probably the answer.

It feels odd you have to set --break-system-packages even to install packages into a user context.

I dislike python more and more …

@systeembeheerder @murrant venv might be the only way that PEP 668 expects a program to use pip3 out of docker containers from now on (though I have no citation to back this claim).
Still, this patch is not enough. You need to replace all the calls to the python and the pip3 binary to the venv instances of these binaries.
They might be right that this is the only sane way to handle local admin-installed dependencies without breaking the system randomly. Still, the doc on how to proceed in detail is heavily lacking. They tell to run in a venv via source/activate but this is not doable for interactive use which is how programs are supposed to handle managing their dependencies if the system install does not already.
I know of no project that handles PEP 668 currently. So devs are left to guess how the PEP 668 is expected to be implemented by programs depending on pip dependencies.

For one the path to the venv will vary fro one install to the other so we cannot hardcode the path in the shebang of all python scripts shipped by LibreNMS.

@systeembeheerder the command to force install in the librenms user home is
pip3 install --user --break-system-packages -r /opt/librenms/requirements.txt

venv looks like a solution, however it is also yet another customization you need to remember/document, however tiny it may be. Isn’t the answer that just like more and more other software the recommended way of running LibreNMS is in a docker container?

One solution I can think of is to rip all python code out of LibreNMS…

@murrant the issue with this python PEP668 is with dependencies not shipped by the distribution.

venv is not the best option in my opinion but the one I prefer seems not available in python. That is ship the dependencies into a vendor directory.

Or plain avoid depending on non-universally available dependencies.

The issue of having non-widespread dependencies is common to all languages.

To me the issue with PEP668 is that telling to run the program in the venv via source/activate is of no help to developers. We cannot expect the user to always open a terminal and enter the program command interactively to run a program. Either there is another way and it would have been way better to document long ago. Or there was no vision that this will break non-interactive programs (well you can point each shebang to the venv python and pip3 binaries. But as I told we cannot know beforehand where the user will install the program thus the venv path).

1 Like

What’s wrong with

sudo su - librenms
$ pip3 install --user --break-system-packages -r /opt/librenms/requirements.txt
$ exit

Seems to solve the problem for me?

1 Like

@miccgn Seems like a reasonable solution to me. Just not sure it is correct for everyone.

I have to admit I am not involved in the LibreNMS internals at all. Just came across the problem while upgrading to Debian 12 last night, then found this thread and tried around.
The step “Switch to user librenms and run composer_wrapper” is already part of the installation documentation, so the solution might be to just insert the pip3-command above in this part of the documentation.

Of course deeper architectural changes like you suggested (get rid of Python code) well might be worth a consideration, too. But I guess that’s a long-term thing, while more and more users will try using Debian 12 in the near future.

(On a side-note: I am just happy to finally be able to run Debian 12, as I didn’t like to fetch PHP from a different package source. More and more PHP applications require PHP 8.x.)

The composer scripts already call pip. It might be worth adding the --break-system-packages to that call in the short term as installing in the user context shouldn’t break system packages at all.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.