ICMP Checks Showing Device Down When Up

Hi all,

I’m having an issue that’s been touched on a couple of times in the past, but I’ve not found a good solution to yet. I have an install of LibreNMS that we’re using at my office to replace an outdated Nagios solution, and everything is working great, except that hosts will occasionally fail ICMP checks and throw a “down” error and subsequent notification. I am NOT using fast ping since I have the poller running every minute, however I’ve tried it both with and without fast ping without change.

Device showing down due to ICMP…

I currently have the poller set to 1 minute, which is updating EVERYTHING on the SNMP side without issue. On the ICMP side (which it runs prior to running the SNMP side to ensure the device is up, I believe), some of the time it works fine, and some of the time it throws a device down due to ICMP error. I’ve logged into the SQL server, checking device_perf, and found that the hosts that show as being down, will sometimes have one single packet dropped, but usually have responses to all packets, and all of the rest of the pings return fine when there is a dropped packet.

I’ve been banging my head against the wall over this, so any input would be appreciated. If it comes down to disabling ICMP checks, I may go that route, but I’d prefer to avoid that if possible.

Just an update, I worked with Murrant to get this corrected yesterday via Discord, and a fix has been published already this morning. Thank you all for the incredible support!

What was the fixed? I have same issue.