In place upgrade or do fresh and transfer database

So I am looking to update our Librenms and need to know if the daily.sh will update in increments or a one and done? Or should I build a new VM and transfer the database data over to it (if there is some sort of guide on how to)?
I know it is way behind but I have other projects taking priority and no backup to help me out. So now trying to get all our internal applications up to date.
Thanks for assistance

./validate.php

Component Version
LibreNMS 1.69-56-g305f971
DB Schema 2020_10_12_095504_mempools_add_oids (191)
PHP 7.3.17
Python 3.6.8
MySQL 5.5.65-MariaDB
RRDTool 1.4.8
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.2
OpenSSL

====================================

[OK] Composer Version: 2.3.5
[OK] Dependencies up-to-date.
[OK] Database connection successful
[OK] Database schema correct

daily.sh should have done upgrades automatically already. Unless the server was powered off.
Upgrading a lot of versions at ones sometimes results in issues, but everything should be solvable.
Probably, if your server is a VM, start with a snapshot, and then process the upgrade of the OS to current prerequisites, followed by LibreNMS upgrade with daily. And start correcting any issues you’ll find.

For next times, the easiest and most stable way for LibreNMS upgrades is automatic daily.sh upgrades, using the “stable” branch.

Thanks for reply ,
We had issues with daily.sh so we had turned it off. I ran it is a few times manually and still didn’t update. As far as OS we were on CentOS 7 and with 8 not valid option went to Rocky Linux but ran into more issues trying to get it. So built a new VM with Ubuntu 20 , copied all the rrd files over did database dump and import. Ran validate to check health, now running lmns migrate to update the database.
Trying to see what else I need to move over we have oxidized and billing so will need to work on those if not part of the database migration. Then it will be tuning and such. The last bit I have to do is when I flip from old to new have to figure out a good way to sync everything so it is up to date.

I solved with new VM.
Base install of Librenms build DB then dump tables on new
DB dump from old
import DB on new
run ./validate
run ./daily.sh
run ./lnms migrate (from out of daily.sh) (wait a long time depending on how big DB is mine took 2 hours to step through all the updates changes etc…)
then I just did IP flip on the 2 servers and rebooted. Slight clean up here and there and only a few hours of gap of data missing.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.