Install rrdtools and rrdcached in Centos 6

Since the RPM forge does not is available, in order to install a rrdtools versión > 1.3 in Centos 6, i propose a modification of the instructions from the documentation site:

http://docs.librenms.org/Extensions/RRDCached/

Install default package from Centos Repo:
yum install perl-rrdtool

Download from RPMFind (64bit):
wget ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el6/en/x86_64/extras/RPMS/perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm
wget ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el6/en/x86_64/extras/RPMS/rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm

Download from RPMFind (32bit):
wget ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el6/en/i386/extras/RPMS/perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.i686.rpm
wget ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el6/en/i386/extras/RPMS/rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.i686.rpm

Install dependencies for the downloaded packages:
yum install perl-Time-HiRes gettext xorg-x11-fonts-Type1

Update the packages in your system, at the same time:
rpm -Uvh perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm

Then, follow the configuration instrucctions for configurate rrdcached in LibreNMS:
vi /etc/sysconfig/rrdcached

# Settings for rrdcached
OPTIONS="-w 1800 -z 1800 -f 3600 -s librenms -U librenms -G librenms -B -R -j /var/tmp -l unix:/var/run/rrdcached/rrdcached.sock -t 4 -F -b /opt/librenms/rrd/"
RRDC_USER=librenms

Then create and set permission in ths folders:

mkdir /var/run/rrdcached
chown librenms:librenms /var/run/rrdcached/
chown librenms:librenms /var/rrdtool/
chown librenms:librenms /var/rrdtool/rrdcached/
chkconfig rrdcached on
service rrdcached start

Edit /opt/librenms/config.php to include:
$config['rrdcached'] = "unix:/var/run/rrdcached/rrdcached.sock";

Those instructions seem more complicated than what’s there already, how come you’ve not just used the current method?

Because the rpmforge repo doest exist anymore (kind of).
The official Centos documentation indicate it is a dead project, not currently maintained and the URL doesn’t work.

Centos Oficial Documentation
https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge

Since i couldn’t follow the instruccions in the site, i search an alternative. =)

Well feel free to update the main docs, they all have edit on github links.

I would try and simplify it a little, possibly drop 32Bit version. If yum install perl-rrdtool is all you need then just stick with that as well.

1 Like