Issue with latency/delay in devices coming off critical

There is a latency issue with librenms or something else and I cant figure it out.

I have 2 services setup, nagios ping and icmp, both checking one server. They’ve both been green for about 10 minutes with no issues yet when I click on Devices>>All Devices, the machine is showing Red.

Link to screen:

imgur dot com / LpAylGu

Whats the deal here? I’m testing this for a major datacenter and I cant afford any kind of latency issue, once a server is checked via ping and it shows up, the device needs to eliminate the alert immediately and not have any kind of wait time. Cant afford having people flipping out and running to check a non-issue because they are getting alerts for something that doesnt exist.

I did a basic standard install of librenms so I never actively configured memcache either.

Also, when I did the following:

su librenms
./poller.php -h all

It finally eliminated the device as showing red. This also seems like a major issue because I shouldnt have to actively run anything for the device to come off an alert of any kind

Thanks

Nagios and the LibreNMS checks for ICMP and SNMP are separate from one another … you don’t need both.

Make sure the poller cron is running.

I dont understand, because librenms doesnt check for pings.

As this link says:

“Has no built in ping support”

Which is why I setup a nagios icmp and ping service

It depends what you trying to monitor. LibreNMS by itself has to be able to ping the device and have SNMP.

Well I’m testing multiple monitoring systems to see which one to use, most monitoring systems all have ping checks to make sure the remote device is up, but librenms doesnt have that. thats what i was trying to do.

edit: see what youre saying regarding the snmp checks

So you have a device that LibreNMS can pull SNMP and ping… but its showing down status for icmp? right??

Yes. I posted a link to the screenshot.

Basically the services tab shows:

OK - 10.0.9.7: rta 2.594ms, lost 0%

But when you click to all devices 10.0.9.7 has a red ICMP icon. I did add the poller to crons.

to be exact my cron jobs are:

33 */6 * * * librenms /opt/librenms/discovery.php -h all >> /dev/null 2>&1
*/5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/discovery.php -h new >> /dev/null 2>&1
*/5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/cronic /opt/librenms/poller-wrapper.py 16
15 0 * * * librenms /opt/librenms/daily.sh >> /dev/null 2>&1

• librenms /opt/librenms/alerts.php >> /dev/null 2>&1
            */5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/poll-billing.php >> /dev/null 2>&1
            01 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/billing-calculate.php >> /dev/null 2>&1
            */5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/check-services.php >> /dev/null 2>&1
            */5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/poller.php -h all >> /dev/null 2>&1

you dont need this one… */5 * * * * librenms /opt/librenms/poller.php -h all >> /dev/null 2>&1

another thing you can check is in config.php make sure you have $config[‘fping’] = “/usr/sbin/fping”;

LibreNMS does a ping check every time the device is polled so you don’t need to use service checks.

As everything runs on a cron then you can (not always) have a delay of around 5 minutes. You can change poller to run every minute instead (see our docs) but you MUST have the hardware to increase with the increased load this places on your install.

As for the device showing as red in the devices list, eventlog will tell you why.

1 Like

I have no idea where you got this cron setup from but you’ve added poller.php - remove that and your device down issue in the device list will go away.

Thanks. I guess the service check is for older versions of libre? Guess I can go ahead and remove them. thanks.

No, it’s for the ability to use nagios plugins to perform additional checks but it’s not needed at all for any core LibreNMS functions.

That article is for devices that don’t support snmp.