LibreNMS > Observium

Just wanted to say that I think LibreNMS is superior to Observium. I ran observium for about a year and a half, it’s a decent product…Libre is better in my opinion. I actually should have just went with it from the jump back in 2018 but didn’t learn about it until I already had observium up and running. To all of the contributors and developers - thank you.

4 Likes

I agree with that. I actually find LibreNMS rock solid, my install is over two years old but keeps going. I’m super impressed with it. Thanks to all who contribute.

I agree as well. Until some point we had an MSP supporting us and they deployed PRTG to monitor everything. Then we ended the contract, PRTG was removed and I started looking for my own solution to monitor stuff. After a few failed attempts to setup Zabbix, Nagios and fancy Grafana dashboards I tried LibreNMS. I basically set it up one Saturday as a learning project and after seeing how easy it is I kept adding devices, dashboards and alarms whenever I had some free time. Now I have 3 years worth of data, it never failed me and required minimum maintenance in those 3 years. I also really like that I can add any device and for most of them the most important things are monitored automatically. With some other tools I tried it gave me nothing and I was supposed to choose the OIDs that I need to monitor? Who has time to do this?!

The more I dig into LibreNMS, the more things I find that definitely make it “more better” than observium. We’re a small manufacturing company (about 300 users) and with Observium I had setup smokeping…LibreNMS includes “latency” built-in…no need for smokeping unless I wanted to do something fancy.

Next…and this is kind of a big one. I had setup another server running a program called “netdisco” that pretty much goes out and dumps IP’s, MAC’s, FDB tables and such so you can search the database for data. It looks to me like LibreNMS does this out of the box so that’s one less server we have to have running.