Looking for testers for port polling update

I’ve been working on an update to port polling to help in certain situations. This was originally inspired by the way Zenoss do snmp bulk gets, unfortunately trying to use snmpbulkget doesn’t seem to be an option due to the consistency in which devices respond to these queries (Zenoss write there own snmp collector afaik). Anyway that led me on to doing multi gets like we do with sensors - this approach for ports actually slows things down if you have a fair number of ports, where it does improve things is where you have a lot of ports but a good % are either marked as deleted or disabled, in this situation port polling speed is improved.

To see if you would benefit from this then run this query in mysql: select device_id, count(*) as total from ports where deleted=1 group by device_id order by total desc;

For me this led to:

+-----------+-------+
| device_id | total |
+-----------+-------+
|       128 |   339 |
|        92 |    56 |
|        41 |    41 |
|        38 |     3 |
|        81 |     2 |

I tested this on the device_id 128 and it improved polling times quite a bit.

If you would like to test it then please ensure you are on the current librenms master and then do the following:

cd /opt/librenms
git remote add laf [email protected]:laf/librenms.git
git remote update laf
git checkout port-perf

You can now either globally enable the new feature (not recommended: $config['poller']['selected_ports'] = true;) or per device by enabling the ‘Enable select port polling’ within the misc section of edit device

Please leave it running (no rediscovery needed) and let me know if polling time and ports polling time have decreased or increased and if so by how much.

The branch if you need it: https://github.com/laf/librenms/tree/port-perf

I’m testing this right now because I’ve been seeing 200+ sec poll times with some Juniper EX3300 virtual chassis with 4+ member switches. In the last few poll intervals, i’ve seen a significant decrease in poll time. I’ll test this with some other devices as well.

Here’s one example graph:

That’s exactly what I wanted to see :slight_smile:

I’m assuming you get port data ok? Do you see any issues in eventlog?

After running this for a couple of hours, I’m having to revert back to the regular polling method for my test-case switches.

Polling time significantly decreased, however, the active interfaces appear to not be polled at all. I don’t have time at the moment to debug, but would be happy to when I’ve got time over the next couple of days. Any pointers on debugging steps I should take? I did notice that your branch was several commits behind master, and my installation generally stays up with master (via daily.sh).

Clicking the Ports tab for a device presents an empty list, and no interfaces show up under the Overall Traffic graph, and the Overall Traffic graph seems to not be updating either. I’ve attached a side-by-side screenshot of two devices. Both are EX3300 virtual-chassis. The left side is still using the selected_ports attribute, and the other one was using the attribute, but is no longer. Note the gap in the Overall Traffic graph from around 12:00 to around 15:00 on the right (left is still not graphing), and the lack of ports below the graph on the left side.

Just need the output of ./poller.php -h HOSTNAME -d -r -f -m ports

Here’s output from the left-side switch in the screenshot from my last reply: https://gist.github.com/twilley/5a7680a553d0e21668eb2860c445088b

Edit: I screwed up the hostname when I ran the poller script. polling with correct hostname now, will update the gist when I’ve sanitized certain info.

That’s odd as the poller isn’t even trying there.

Very odd. I have just pushed some updates so if you do: git pull laf port-perf, run a rediscover and leave to poll

Sorry only just pushed the update.

I don’t know if you saw my edit, but I had typoed the hostname. I’ve updated my gist with sanitized output from the poller using the correct hostname.

I’ll do a pull.

I think it’s marked the ports as deleted, if a rediscover and poll don’t fix it after you’ve pulled the changes then do this in mysql:

update ports set deleted=0 where device_id=66;

After pulling your branch, discovering and polling manually, the interfaces seem to be showing up again. I’ll let this simmer for a bit and get back to you.

I’m also going to expect your poll times to shoot up. Watch it to make sure it doesn’t > 300 seconds

Think I’ve found more bugs, may as well hang fire.

Scratch that it’s my crappy data. Should be ok :slight_smile:

Hang in there, Monday is almost over! :slight_smile:

haha, so true :slight_smile:

I’ll have to let this go for a longer period, but this is the poller time graph for “sw1”:

• before 12:00 is before applying your patches
  • 12:00 to 15:30 is when ports weren’t being polled.
  • 15:30 to present is after rediscovering.

Ports look good for this device (in the overview and ports tab in the webui)… Will keep an eye on it.

Ok thanks for checking. If you can let me know how you get on that would be ace.

Ok, everything looks good on the devices that are using the selected_ports attribute. Here’s a poller graph: