Monitor Secondary IP on existing device

So we are monitoring a Cisco ASA firewall with two internet connection (primary and failover). The device was added using the primary IP, however I would also like to monitor the secondary IP to ensure that it is available and capable of providing internet should the primary failed.

I am unable to add the second IP as a device as it recognizes that the IP is attached to a device already configured. How can I do this?

1 Like

Hi,

Good point. The main issue with ASA is that you cannot ensure which device is primary nor secondary. Only active and standby, as they swap IPs. I personnally don’t monitor the 2nd one, and only rely on the status of the redundancy on which I can alert if the secondary is not standby ready.

Now, if you want to add it, you can probably create a DNS entry for the secondary and add by DNS, or even add by a random name (which will fail, so you must force add) and then manually force the IP from the settings page of the device.

Bye

thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstand the issue. This is not HA, but rather one ASA with 2x internet connections

This topic was automatically closed 730 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.