New install, crashing when launching after editing config file [SOLVED]

Hi all,

Trying to do a new install of Oxidized in CentOS 7. First time I’ve used Oxidized however have some familiarity with RANCID, if that helps any :slight_smile:

I had some troubles with the install, namely just net-telnet when doing the gems install, i forced net-telnet 0.1.0 to install. Otherwise, most of the install went as per the instructions on Github.

First run of Oxidized went fine and created the config file in /home/oxidized/.config/oxidized. I have edited that file, and crated a router.db file as well. Created a directory in /home/oxidized/ for device configs (using file method for output).

Now when I try to run oxidized, from the oxidized user it immediately crashes. Note that I can log into devices using the oxs script.

Tried a whole lot of various combinations, as it feels like I’ve stuffed up the config file. But, I can’t get any other error message to come up when i run oxidized that might point me towards the problem. Google hasn’t been much help in this situation either.

Here are some pastebins of the various bits and pieces;

Config file - https://pastebin.com/y9P77CWf
Debug output when running Oxy - https://pastebin.com/wdd50GmR
Contains the same output as in the crash file

Log file contains three lines;
I, [2018-10-09T14:34:02.130951 #948] INFO -- : Oxidized starting, running as pid 948
I, [2018-10-09T14:34:02.138061 #948] INFO -- : lib/oxidized/nodes.rb: Loading nodes
F, [2018-10-09T14:34:02.138255 #948] FATAL -- : Oxidized crashed, crashfile written in /home/oxidized/.config/oxidized/crash

And, router.db file contains just a single hostname (I assume I don’t need anything more as model, user, pass etc is defined globally)
router.domain.local

Thanks all…

Looks like an issue with your router.db file, post the content here (mask sensitive info)

Thanks, @laf

Yeah after posting this I had another check over and figured it must be something up with the router.db file. Still can’t figure out what though…

My router.db file is simply the one line, which is a hostname;

router.domain.local

(Obviously, I am using a legit hostname that can be resolved).

Is there something I am missing from this file? Just used vi to create it. The oxidized user has full permissions to the file (rwx).

I’ve also tried;

hostname.domain.local:cisco

hostname.domain.local:

hostname.domain.local:cisco::

You’re mapping 4 things in the config file, if you don’t have 4 fields then remove the mappings

@laf

Thanks, I thought that it would just ignore blank fields and use the global settings as defined earlier in the config file.

As I wanted to get this working, I ended up using MySQL source which works fine. Also, allows me to have blank fields in the table where it’ll just use the global details in the config file. So, this allows for adding an occasional device which might be a different model, or different user/pass etc.