New install - first device add snags

Hi, I’ve completed the installation guide located here for putting LibreNMS on Ubuntu 16-04 with mariadb, and have hit a couple of snags.

So far I’ve got the webui up and working, it will semi-pass the ./validate, it advises I haven’t yet run the cron jobs, but otherwise is fine.

In the webui, when I add a device I receive errors that either the host cannot be pinged, or occasionally that the snmp community may not be correct.

In the shell I can snmpwalk to my device without any issues, and can ping the device without a problem, soooo I’m a little stuck thinking it could be something to do with snmpd or fping maybe?

Running the ./addhost, initially it fails to ping, then I can manually ping from the host get replies and ./addhost will fail on another attempt complaining about snmp details/reachability.

Help! It looks like a decent product and I’d like to give it a fair shake.

Firstly please run ./validate.php and post the output.

==========================================================

Component Version
LibreNMS 89a2847b69f302b3196abe76972dcf4ee881fefa
DB Schema
PHP 7.0.13-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
MySQL 10.0.28-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
RRDTool 1.5.5
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.3

[OK] Database connection successful
[FAIL] Discovery has never run, check the cron job
[FAIL] The poller has never run, check the cron job
[WARN] Your local git contains modified files, this could prevent automatic updates.
Modified files:
config.php.default

Also - when I try to add localhost I’m getting snmp details/reachability errors.

/opt/librenms$ sudo php addhost.php localhost public v2c

Could not connect, please check the snmp details and snmp reachability
SNMP v2c: No reply with community public

Why is db schema empty in validate? Did you run build-base.php?

Hi murrant, there’s nothing in the install doc that references build-base.php.

I just ran that script and now have the following:

Component Version
LibreNMS 83f24dc493c0c53749e1bf291b021791c411d19f
DB Schema 154
PHP 7.0.13-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
MySQL 10.0.28-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
RRDTool 1.5.5
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.3

[OK] Database connection successful
[FAIL] Discovery has never run, check the cron job
[FAIL] The poller has never run, check the cron job
[WARN] Your local git contains modified files, this could prevent automatic updates.
Modified files:
config.php.default

Unfortunately I still cannot add devices, receiving “Could not connect, please check the snmp details and snmp reachability - SNMP v1: No reply with community xxxxxx” as an error still.

Again, the device can be snmpwalked with the same credentials, so I know it’s not my device or the creds I’m using.

You’re right but likely you skipped adding this to your sql config as outlined in the docs.

innodb_file_per_table=1
sql-mode=""

http://docs.librenms.org/Installation/Installation-Ubuntu-1604-Nginx/#install-configure-mysql

Hi Murrant,

No I have those lines added, copy/paste from the 50-server.cnf file in my build:

this is read by the standalone daemon and embedded servers
[server]

this is only for the mysqld standalone daemon

[mysqld]

innodb_file_per_table=1
sql-mode=""

* Basic Settings

user = mysql
pid-file = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port = 3306
basedir = /usr
datadir = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir = /tmp
lc-messages-dir = /usr/share/mysql
skip-external-locking

If I’ve got that placed incorrectly, could you advise of the right placement? The doc just says ‘in the [mysqld] section’.

And to followup - I also still cannot add localhost to monitor, same error.

build base is run when you run through install.php. Coupled now with that cron doesn’t seem to be running I’d suggest you go back through the install docs and repeat the process as you most likely have other things wrong that would be resolved by that.

So I still have no idea why it’s bombed out on the first box, but I built out a new VM and ran through the config guide again, it’s up and functional at this stage.

Thanks for trying to help laf and murrant. I can only guess that I missed something in the config guide, but have run through it line by line and found no problems.

Case closed, if in the future someone else comes along to read this, resolution was to start a new Ubuntu instance from scratch, go with a total greenfield scenario.

do u still have the config guide i needed it

@Clary
The config guides are all in the LibreNMS documentation :
https://docs.librenms.org/Installation/
Bye