Observation on LibreNMS

LibreNMS team & fans:
I’m a sysadmin who spent a good number of years working for a non-profit research organization. When I took another job, I found myself dealing with more and more network-related stuff and consulted with a colleague from the non-profit who specialized in network stuff. He suggested I setup an instance of Observium…which did in late 2018. I’m not much of a *Nix guy but I’m learning.

Anyhow, fast-forward to this past Friday – I had a bit of spare time on my calendar and I know that my observium build had some problems and I thought now would be a great time to investigate LibreNMS. First off, I find it to be much more visually appealing than Observium. I only have a few devices in it now while I evaluate (and get everything working) but I do anticipate retiring observium and moving to Libre.

Now…here’s something particularly interesting: I was looking at traffic on our main switch in observium and libre and the traffic pattern looks the same but the amount of data according to observium is about 50% less than what libre is saying it is. I’ll have to do some more digging, but I find this to be extremely interesting either way.

Also - thank you to the libre team because there are definitely some nice differences here that make it more appealing than Observium.

Its hard to have exactly same graphs, but 50% is way too much difference. Do you mind posting the 2 screenshoots?

Forgive me for breaking this up into two posts - I can’t upload more than one photo at a time. Additionally I hope you don’t take this as me knocking one offering over another…it’s moments like this where you start to wonder what to take as true one way or the other. hahaha.

CPU is probably a little more alarming…Libre reported it as high, Observium low. Device itself was happy. Going to continue to mess with this.

Hi @Killo_RIchards
Are these graphs single interface graphs, or “All interfaces” graphs ? I suspect the LibreNMS variant is “All interfaces” that is displayed on the device page.

I think on the main device page, the graphs for the ports are stacked one on top of the other while in observium they are displayed one on top of the other. I dont use the graphs on the main device page. It would be nice to include an option to display 1 port instead but I am not a good enough programmer to take that on lol.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think that you’re right. I was honestly in the weeds with getting the system up and not really evaluating it when my colleague mentioned the differences. Much appreciated.