OID - To get BIOS and Firmware Version for ESXi hosts

Hello,

We would like to obtain from NMS using SNMP the BIOS and Firmware versions of the ESXi hosts that are being monitored using SNMP. Does anyone know how we can do this via OID’s please? Is there a procedure on how this can be actioned.

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @naeems

Maybe it will help you:

SNMP OIDs for VMware ESXi 6.0.0
MIBs: Combination of Public and Private MIBs
Public: RFC2737 & SNMPv2-MIB
Private: VMWARE-ROOT-MIB (.1.3.6.1.4.1.6876…etc.)

Object Identifier (OID) Property
.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4.0 Contact
.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.6.0 Location
.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.9.1 Firmware Revision
.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11.1 BIOS Serial Number
.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11.1 Service Tag
.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.12.1 System Manufacturer
.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.13.1 System Model
.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.2.1.1.2.1 Management Server Description
.1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.2.1.1.5.1 Management Server Address
.1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.1.1.0 Product Name
.1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.1.2.0 Product Version
.1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.1.4.0 Product Build
.1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.1.5.0 Product Update
.1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.1.6.0 Product Patch
.1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.3.2.1.0 Total Memory Kilobytes

Access to ESXi MIB:
https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=SNMPMIBS70&productId=974

SNMP documentation on the VMWARE vSphere site:

If you need something else, tell me.

Good luck with that!

Hello @aleferrari

What is actually required is the BIOS version and BMC version.

Could you kindly explain if what you provided can output what we need please? Also I see you send a MIB zip file. What should we do we it ? Do we need need to install it on the host please?

Thanks,
Naeem

A MIB is a database that contains the OIDs of the referred system, arranged in a hierarchical structure.
They can be used as a reference by the SNMP client for queries against a host that has the SNMP service active.
I recommend reading about the basics of using SNMP (there is a lot of material on the web), and the “snmpwalk” utility.
With it you can test different OIDs against your host to verify if you get the desired results.
You can also, if the OIDs I sent you do not work for you, read the MIB and search for other OIDs there.
For this to work, you will need to have SNMP enabled and configured on your ESXi. (see the VMware documentation on the subject, which I have shared with you).
Personally, I do not have my ESXii serving SNMP, so I cannot share screenshots with examples of use.

Hey @aleferrari Thanks for the info. The ESXIs are configured with SNMP and added to the NMS Monitoring Tool. We were looking at getting also the BIOS and FIRMWARE/BMC using OIDs. Needs further digging i guess if it is possible to get this type of info from using OIDs and SNMP

You should consider whether this information is accessible from the operating system. If it is not, SNMP will not be able to share it with you.

I share a quote from the VMware knowledge base:

“Run the esxcfg-info command through SSH to find the host information. You can also use the dmidecode command on an ESX classic host and the smbiosDump command on an ESXi host to find the BIOS information.”

Perhaps you can work on a script that performs this query, processes the output, and delivers it to LibreNMS. You would invoke the script from LibreNMS as a service linked to said host.

Hey @aleferrari appreciate your help !

However, we do need to be doing this via OIDs so we can get this information directly from the host to the NMS monitoring tool via SNMP

From what I see in the documentation, the path to that data is the one I just shared with you.

Explore the MIB to see if it contains any OIDs referring to the BIOS (it seems to me that there won’t be any).

Good luck! Greetings from Uruguay.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.