Polling took longer than 5 minutes! This will cause gaps in graphs

jaja … happens all the time.

@PipoCanaja : thanks for your feedback.
It is very clear about isolaing devices on different pollers can prevent to crash all graphs.
but … I dont totally agree about not running multiple pollers on same machine.
Because:
Distrubuting pollers on diferent machines is not allways possible and it difficults the maintenace.
In my opinion a middle solution should be possible … meaning that a multi-thread scheme should handle multiple pollers.
But.
Thats my opinion.
Last:
Lets supose I deside to grow my platform.
I will begin adding devices.
What polling time / when do you think , I should consider creating an extra pooller ?
Thanks!!!
Leandro

Having both poller instances on the same machine does not bring a single advantage over one poller instance, because the poller instance is anyway a wrapper that calls the real actions in a multithreaded way, already.
So “one poller instance” is in fact “one wrapper process calling multiple PHP pollers in // to do the job”. Just run “top” to get convinced :slight_smile: and have a look at /etc/cron.d/librenms to see how this wrapper is configured (and you can increase/decrease the number of threads).

So the only usefull case is to run 2 pollers on different hardware, and adapt the number of // threads they generate according to the number of devices they have to poll, the polling interval, the latency between poller and devices, the number of ports etc etc…

There is no answer to your “growing” question. It just depends on so many parameters that we cannot tell in advance. What you can do is monitor the polling time of each of your poller instances and compare it to your polling interval. As long as it remains below a reasonnable amount (let say 70% of your polling interval) and remains stable (so does not grow more than 80% peak ever), you should be safe without a new poller instance. To achieve this, before creating a new poller instance, you can add VCPUs (if Virtual machine), increase RAM, tweak your DB and RRDCached, run on SSD drives instead of HDD, etc etc etc.

1 Like

Great advice as allways @PipoCanaja , thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.