Port numbering changed after going from nightly to monthly release?

I mentioned in another thread that after dropping back from the daily build to the monthly release I’m getting bogus alert history shown.

I’ve just spotted another problem - it seems network ports have been renumbered ?

On a dashboard (which I rarely visit) with Network graphs several of the graphs had no data and I had to re-browse for the correct network interfaces. Afterwards the port numbers shown in the widget are different than before.

I also noticed that all my “Traffic Bills” while still present now have no billed ports assigned to them and therefore haven’t been collecting any data for the last 5 days. :frowning:

Is it expected that some ports may get re-numbered during a downgrade to the monthly version ? Is the port numbering likely to change back when the next monthly version comes out bringing me up to a version later than the previous nightly I was on ?

No it is not expected and of the two people that have reported it (including you) no one has been able to give steps to reproduce the issue.

How to reproduce it:

Step 1) Downgrade a working system from 21.11.0-18-g7893b8beb to the monthly release 21.11.0.

No, I’m not being facetious, that’s all I did that triggered it, and I don’t know what other information I could provide.

A large number of ports got renumbered (but not all) breaking the link between device ports and dashboard widgets / traffic billing.

Unfortunately I didn’t notice it for nearly 5 days as I don’t very often look in the traffic billing section or on the particular dashboard that had the affected graphs.

I’m waiting with interest for the next monthly release to see if going to a newer (than 21.11.0-18-g7893b8beb) build will cause the port numbering to revert back to what it was before or whether it will stay the same.

Forgot to post my validate.php output:

[email protected]:~$ ./validate.php
====================================
Component | Version
--------- | -------
LibreNMS  | 21.11.0
DB Schema | 2021_11_12_123037_change_cpwVcID_to_unsignedInteger (225)
PHP       | 7.4.3
Python    | 3.8.10
MySQL     | 10.3.31-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
RRDTool   | 1.7.2
SNMP      | NET-SNMP 5.8
====================================

[OK]    Composer Version: 2.1.12
[OK]    Dependencies up-to-date.
[OK]    Database connection successful
[WARN]  Your database schema has extra migrations (2021_11_12_123037_change_cpwVcID_to_unsignedInteger). If you just switched to the stable release from the daily release, your database is in between releases and this will be resolved with the next release.
[FAIL]  Database: incorrect column (pseudowires/cpwVcID)
[FAIL]  We have detected that your database schema may be wrong
        [FIX]:
        Run the following SQL statements to fix it
        SQL Statements:
         ALTER TABLE `pseudowires` CHANGE `cpwVcID` `cpwVcID` int NOT NULL ;

How you downgrade/upgrade is probably the important port you didn’t share.

FYI, the monthly release is just the daily release every month (although there is a soft freeze on merges)

I followed the instructions on the bottom of this page:

https://docs.librenms.org/General/Releases/

EG, I changed the release channel in the LibreNMS configuration then ran the git command which switches to the latest monthly tagged commit.

I guessed as much, however I’m assuming the issue I’ve run into is an unanticipated side effect of downgrading from a daily build from around the 18th of the month to an older stable version from the 12th, similar to the issue I’m seeing with bogus alert history as both started when I downgraded.