Reverse DNS Hostname Updates?

vlidate.sh output: validate.php - LibreNMS

Should (reverse-dns) hostnames update automatically? Or is there a way to trigger LibreNMS to fully update all hostnames?

For your understanding:
we we’re not really using DNS hostnames for anything important, so we had some devices with correct A and PTR Records, some with none, some with just A,…
I thought it would be easier to just let LibreNMS autodiscover Subnet X, after that I’m exporting the full device list of the subnet, every Device which has an IP Adress as Hostname has some dns issues and needs to be corrected manually.

Works fine, only problem is I can’t update the hostname of devices. Once LibreNMS has the device in it’s database, it’s hostname stays, no matter how long I wait or how often I rediscover them.

Only way I found to get the new hostname is fully deleting the device and rediscovering it.

Here is an example:
The device itself was added 14 days ago, the correct DNS records were created something like 12 days ago.

resolution on the server works correctly:

[librenms@x ~ ] # host 10.4.0.127
127.0.4.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer compls0127.network.local.
[librenms@x ~ ] #
[librenms@x ~ ] # host compls0127
compls0127.network.local has address 10.4.0.127
[librenms@x ~ ] #
[librenms@x ~ ] # host compls0127.network.local
compls0127.network.local has address 10.4.0.127
[librenms@x ~ ] #

Does anyone have an idea? Is this the correct behaviour? Do I have to delete every device and rediscover it?

Thanks for your answer!
BR

What are you meaning by reverse dns name here? The ‘hostname’ which is the name used to add a device (can be an IP) is set by you.

What I did was renamed the host( around 20) ./renamehost ( the easiest solution)

I some cases I did the DNS after the device was added.
I would guess that order in which it picks the name. ( not sure where find it)
IP first, Hostname then DNS.
My other monitoring tools this is configurable.

Not when using auto discover. LibreNMS just scanns the ranges I want it to and performs reverse Lookups on the IP.

As this was just the first /24 subnet of many with this issue I probably will just delete each subnet and let it rediscover after i made the changes.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.