Sonicwall ssl vpn licenses

I have a sonicwall appliance and it’s working fine for network, memory and cpu monitoring. I’d like to have a history of the ssl vpn licenses in use. I’m using the latest ‘daily’ librenms and standard config files. I see there is a sonicwall os defined, which explains why I’m seeing the stats I have:

text: SonicWALL
type: firewall
over:
    - { graph: device_bits, text: Traffic }
    - { graph: device_processor, text: CPU }
    - { graph: device_mempool, text: Memory }
discovery:
    -
        sysObjectID:

There are also mib files for sonicwall already bundled in librenms, in particular, I’m looking at mibs/sonicwall/SNWL-SSLVPN-MIB and want this metric:

activeUsers OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
    "Active user sessions"
    ::= { sslvpnSys 8 }

So how do I get my librenms installation to monitor that value?

Check https://docs.librenms.org/Developing/Support-New-OS/

As sonicwall is already detected, you have to create the includes/definitions/discovery/sonicwall.yaml and for what you want, I guess it will be a Health sensor of type Unit

Seems the discovery file was deleted when support was added in via php

@marvink87, do you have any pointers as to what I need to do? Hoping to monitor ssl license usage.

Just noticed this while cleaning up my mail. A bit late but better late then never I guess.

Monitoring the SSL VPN usage was added by me via includes/discovery/sensors/count/sonicwall.inc.php. It’s still in use at the place I work at for the SMA 400 model. I’m guessing the model you’re using is being skipped by this if statement: https://github.com/librenms/librenms/blob/9ccb707335d73f06563bb5d5cc09af6f666afc09/includes/discovery/sensors/count/sonicwall.inc.php#L20

I moved the CPU discovery from includes/definitions/discovery/sonicwall.yaml to LibreNMS/OS/Sonicwall.php because some logic was needed, but I don’t think that’s relative to your use case.

I’m guessing you need to alter the if statement referenced to include your device. I added that logic because I don’t have a lot of knowledge of all the hardware Sonicwall has and if they all share the same capabilities.

1 Like