State Sensor Critical

I have Catalyst 4506 switches. I just setup LibreNMS and it appears when computers are turned off the the interface goes down I am getting alerts. For example I show the below in the information. I still want to know about issues just not if a single port goes down for this group of switches as they have computer labs and such that are not on all the time. Any suggestions?

#1: FastEthernet2/1;
State: off (other) (numerical 1)

#2: FastEthernet2/2;

#3: FastEthernet2/3;

#4: FastEthernet2/4;

#5: FastEthernet2/5;

#6: FastEthernet2/6;

#7: FastEthernet2/7;

#8: FastEthernet2/8;

#9: FastEthernet2/9;

#10: FastEthernet2/10;

#11: FastEthernet2/11;

#12: FastEthernet2/12;

#13: FastEthernet2/13;

Interesting. Some of our D-Link switches have state sensors for things like power and fans, but do not have state sensors for port up/down status. (If I wanted to generate alerts for ports going down I can do that without a state sensor)

You will probably have to filter the state sensors in the alert rules to exclude certain types of sensors.

To gather more info about the problem first go to Alerts->Notifications, then press the (i) button in the details column to show alert details. (Unfortunately you can only do this on currently active alerts)

Copy and paste all the text from the pop up window and save this in a txt file to refer to - this shows all the information that is available to the alert rule from this particular state sensor to help filter this alert source out.

You might want to filter on sensors.sensor_class. As an example my generic sensors alert rule has an exclusion for temperature sensors because I have a separate more customised alert rule to deal with temperatures:

So by adding an AND’ed rule that checks sensors.sensor_class is not equal to temperature this alert triggers for all sensors except temperature sensors.

A list of standard sensor types is here:

I don’t see one specifically relating to ports so you’d need to look at the data you captured from the alert to see whether you can filter on this property or not or whether there is some other unique property you could use. Another possibility is sensors.sensor_type.

Another way you could deal with this if you don’t have too many switches involved and you only want to disable port change state alerts for specific switches:

Go to the device page for one of the affected switches, click the gear icon then Health.

This should give a list of all sensors including state sensors that the device provides. Simply turn off Alerts for any sensors you don’t want alerts from. Presumably all of your ports will appear in this list.

If you don’t want port sensor alerts from any switch I’d go the route of customising the alert rule though.

I ended up doing this to the State Sensor Critical

AND ports.ifOperStatus != “down”

Hoping that that will show me all Sensor Alerts as long as the sensors is “down”. I think it is working. The alert cleared anyway.

Seems like a decent approach. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.