Syslog Display Format

Hello,

I am new to LibreNMS. I have got it set up in Centos 6.9(Final). I have added the syslog with it. The syslog is well polled from the server but syslogs are not shown in tabular form as it is shown in demo.librenms.org.

Regards
Pratik

Can you share a screen shot? Do you use syslogd?

also just in case https://docs.librenms.org/Extensions/Syslog/

I am using syslog-ng. The following image shows the display format.

@kevin_krumm: I have followed the same documentation. I get syslog but the display format as per demo.librenms.org doesnt match.

Your interface is very strange, you’ve a mix of old icons and new one. Validate your install and post the result please. It’s probably a very old installation not updated.

Indeed it is.

./validate.php
[OK] config.php tested ok
[OK] Database connection successful
[WARN] Your RRD directory is not set to 0775, please check our installation instructions
[FAIL] fping location is incorrect or bin not installed

So, What what do you suggest me for the best.

Can you check under “About LibreNMS” your version? I think that your validate.php code is too old to return the version :stuck_out_tongue:

You need to update to new version, but it’s probably a big version jump. So be sure to have backup of everything.

Version e8a74e1
DB Schema #61
Apache 2.2.15 (CentOS)
PHP 5.3.3
MySQL 5.1.73
RRDtool 1.3.8

We were just testing for making it in production. I can make a fresh install and work on it.

You need to do a fresh install/upgrade before going to production I think, it will be better.

Hello, I have a fresh install on centos-7.3. Everything is good but while adding syslog as per the guide on https://docs.librenms.org/Extensions/Syslog/ i cannot start the syslog-ng service. I only added the configuration suggested to syslog-ng.conf file. Is there anything i have missed.

Here is my ./validate.php

./validate.php
PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘/usr/lib64/php/modules/php_sqli.dll’ - /usr/lib64/php/modules/php_sqli.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Component Version
LibreNMS 1.31.03-3-g6914666
DB Schema 205
PHP 5.4.16
MySQL 5.5.52-MariaDB
RRDTool 1.4.8
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.2

====================================

[OK] Database connection successful
[OK] Database schema correct

I would double check your conf. Here is what i have for my syslog-ng conf https://pastebin.com/Yj3iY2B1

when you try and start syslog-ng what message do you receive?

also you need to fix this.

Hello,

I tried the pastebin code. Following is the error i got in starting the syslog-ng service

systemctl status syslog-ng
● syslog-ng.service - System Logger Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Sat 2017-09-02 13:33:35 +0545; 9s ago
Docs: man:syslog-ng(8)
Process: 20501 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/syslog-ng -F -p /var/run/syslogd.pid (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 20501 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: Unit syslog-ng.service entered failed state.
Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: syslog-ng.service failed.
Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: syslog-ng.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for syslog-ng.service
Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: Failed to start System Logger Daemon.
Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: Unit syslog-ng.service entered failed state.
Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for syslog-ng.service
Sep 02 13:33:35 Hostname systemd[1]: Failed to start System Logger Daemon.

Did clear out the conf before you paste in the new config?

i removed the old one and replaced with the new code. The service started with no errors. But, the log is not being fetched still. Client syslog-ng configuration is good. Does getting syslog in librenms takes some time??

is syslog enabled in librenms config.php?

Well depends if your devices are sending logs.

Yes, it is enabled. My clients are same that i tried on librenms previous version. Logs were being sent on my previous installation.

Ok…are you sure syslog-ng is running?