Twilio Transport giving "General Error"

Hello - Somewhere around 8/31’s update, Twilio alerting stopped working. When I go to “test”, I just get a red “Test to twilio failed - general error” pop up, but nothing more. I don’t see any log entries in librenms.log and was curious where else I should be looking.


Component | Version
--------- | -------
LibreNMS  | 23.9.1-1-g52bc8dc7d (2023-09-20T07:41:31-04:00)
DB Schema | 2023_08_30_105156_add_applications_soft_deleted (259)
PHP       | 8.1.11
Python    | 3.9.10
Database  | MariaDB 10.5.16-MariaDB
RRDTool   | 1.7.2
SNMP      | 5.9.1

Andro, be sure your phone number includes the + and everything after it in Twilio. In the USA, it should be +1-XXX-XXX-XXXX for both numbers.

Also, if you are using a Twilio trial account, you may need to update your phone number as they only last 30 days on a trial account. Check the Twilio website for this.

You can also grab the curl request from the Twilio site and run it in an SSH terminal to ensure no firewall is blocking outbound traffic.

I could use some help troubleshooting Twilio as well. I do not see any entries in the log file related to Twilio and was wondering if there is some debug logging to show alert transport activity.

I am able to send test messages with Twilio but actual alerts do not send. Email alerting is working great.

I just updated to 23.8.0, I am using the official docker-compose file.

Hey Andro,

The other thing I learned today is the default alert template does not work with Twilio. I had to make a new template. As soon as I assigned a template with just some text in it, the alerts started coming through on Twilio.

Let me know if you need more help, I finally got Twilio working on my setup.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.