Unable to change dashboard or disable some alerting


After migrating a librenms install from an old server to a newer one, I find that I cannot make changes to the dashboard anymore. When I attempt to, a red bar with a white shield and red exclamation point appears. Also, when I try to disable an alert rule, the switch doesn’t change and a blue bar appears above stating “This alert could not be updated.” I’ve checked and re-set the prmissions on /opt/librenms and it appears to be correct. Validate also doesn’t show anything wrong. Is there something else I should check? What could be causing this?

$ ./validate.php

Component Version
LibreNMS 1.60-7-gc380921d4
DB Schema 2020_02_05_093457_add_inserted_to_devices (157)
PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.2
MySQL 10.1.43-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
RRDTool 1.7.0


[OK] Composer Version: 1.9.3
[OK] Dependencies up-to-date.
[OK] Database connection successful
[OK] Database schema correct

Check librenms.log for errors

All librenms.log shows is the polling and discovery of devices. There are no errors in that log.

Even when you try to change a dashboard and the error shows in the gui?

Correct. I was tailing the librenms.log file while trying to delete a widget/edit a device/change alert settings. No errors showed up in the log file.

Try adding /debug=yes/ to the URL and then editing the dashboard

Something like https://librenms.yourdomain.tld/overview/dashboard=12/debug=yes/ obviously changing your domain and the dashboard ID, then edit dashboard as you usually do

Thanks for the debug suggestion. I tried it but nothing shows up in librenms.log when I get an error when trying to delete a widget (though the error on the web page does show a bit more info, saying I don’t have administrative rights to make a change, even though I verified that my ID has global admin rights in librenms.).

It looks like the problem was with the librenms.conf file for NGINX. I didn’t have the FQDN os the server (just the name). After fixing that and restarting the NGINX process, LibreNMS started working properly on that machine. Kinda weird but at least the dashboard and devices can be edited now. Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

Glad you find the problem.

Tbh, I would never suspected that.