VMware ESXi 6.5 - VM guest OS blank

After getting everything on my new LibreNMS installation set up (and a required reboot of ESXi) I found that the guest OS value of my VMs had been unset. This is what I see in the event logs:

2017-03-14 05:05:03	nine	NULL	rachel.domain.com (GuestOS) -> 	 
2017-03-14 05:05:03	nine	NULL	rachel.domain.com (State) -> powered on	 
2017-03-14 05:05:03	nine	NULL	susanoo.domain.com (GuestOS) -> 	 
2017-03-14 05:05:03	nine	NULL	susanoo.domain.com (State) -> powered on	 
2017-03-14 05:05:03	nine	NULL	mc.domain.com (GuestOS) -> 	 
2017-03-14 05:05:03	nine	NULL	mc.domain.com (State) -> powered on

Initially these had been set properly (FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE for rachel, Debian 8 for susanoo/mc). VMware tools (via open-vm-tools) are running in the guests.

Please post the link to the output of ./poller.php -h HOSTNAME -d -r -f -m os | ./pbin.sh

https://p.libren.ms/view/73a46ee9

Thanks much.

Just did another poller.php run. VM names are now blank and guest OS is set to (unknown).

Looks like there’s some weirdness going on with VMware. Running discovery.php specifically for vmware-vminfo gives this:

Modules status: Global+ OS+ Device
#### Load disco module vmware-vminfo ####
SNMP[/usr/bin/snmpbulkwalk -v3 -n '' -l 'authPriv' [SNMP creds] -OQUs -m +VMWARE-ROOT-MIB:VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB -M /opt/librenms/mibs:/opt/librenms/mibs/vmware:/opt/librenms/mibs/vmware -t 1 -r 5 udp:nine.domain.com:161 vmwVmTable]
vmwVmTable = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

SQL[SELECT id, vmwVmVMID, vmwVmDisplayName FROM vminfo WHERE device_id = '5' AND vm_type='vmware']

>> Runtime for discovery module 'vmware-vminfo': 0.1610 seconds with 4232 bytes
#### Unload disco module vmware-vminfo ####

SQL[SELECT attrib_value FROM devices_attribs WHERE `device_id` = '5' AND `attrib_type` = 'poll_mib' ]
SQL[UPDATE `devices` set `last_discovered` =NOW(),`last_discovered_timetaken` ='0.693' WHERE `device_id` = '5']
Discovered in 0.693 seconds

That in no way surprises me with VMWare :frowning:

I’m not sure what we can do to fix that unless there is a new MIB / OID Tree to walk that we aren’t using.

The oddest thing about this is it was working fine prior to a reboot. Thanks for looking, though!

Hi hiimreverie,

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I am having the same issue with ESXi 6.5 installed.

Thanks,
Andy