What does distributed_poller = true mean?

I am wondering what the ‘distributed_poller’ setting actually affects. It seems like it should be pretty obvious (whether the instance is a distributed poller), but this is a system I have inherited from someone who left the company. Also: it’s currently working with distributed_poller = false, even on the distributed pollers…

We are currently a bit behind, running release 1.33. I am in the process of upgrade planning. My plan is first to get up to 1.39 and make sure things are ok, then proceed to 1.40+ when things like Laravel come into play.

Basically:

1. Why does distributed polling work with distributed_poller = false (but distributed_poller_group set)?
  2. What would change if I change distributed_poller to true?

Thanks. Happy to provide more info if it helps.

====================================

Component Version
LibreNMS 1.39
DB Schema 249
PHP 7.2.11
MySQL 5.5.60-MariaDB
RRDTool 1.5.5
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.2

====================================

With it set to false, they will not coordinate with memcache and you could have duplicate polling.

Using group pins devices so, as long as a group is only on one poller, you won’t have double polling.

Go read the docs :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification. I had read the docs on distributed polling (which obviously include setting distributed_poller = true), I just wanted to know what effect I’d be having on an otherwise working system. :slight_smile: