Why is the total number of ports inconsistent with total?

Hello everyone, I observed the traffic of the port. I found that the total of in and out is inconsistent with the total at the bottom. I have paid attention to the unit conversion. But why is this happening?

Hello @finalnunci

It’s true, there is about 32TB of total difference in minus in the total below.

It would be necessary to see if this value is updated at the same time as those above, or if it does so with a certain time difference.

That could be the source of the inconsistency.

Today I will look at my NOC to see if the same thing happens in LibreNMS.

Greetings

TKS aleferrari
I didn’t express it clearly enough.
As shown in the picture, if I add up all the IN ports in the maximum value field above, there will always be a clear gap with the total port at the bottom. Why is this?

Because MAX can’t be added. The “MAX” is a maximum value over an interval of time. So may be port 1 was peak at 1 AM and port 2 at 2 AM. So the total of all ports will clearly not be an addition of the 2 values …
Average of a sum, is a sum of averages, so you should have a match with these.

Hello again @finalnunci

As I told you I was going to do, I spent some time today testing on an Aruba switch.

It has only one port with traffic.

Your incoming and outgoing traffic fully match the sum total.

imagen

It remains for me to connect something to one of its ports and verify the sum of both.

I’ll tell you when I have the result.

Regards

Confirmed! @finalnunci

Add correctly

At least with my switches (Aruba, HP, TPLink, BDCom)

OUT 40.34MB+0.261MB = 40.601MB
IN = 98.79MB = 98.79MB

imagen

I appreciate the support of @laf

Greetings

1 Like

I added the Totals for IN on each port up and got the Total IN value at the bottom, I’ve not seen an issue here.

It does in yours as well.

You only have one Total IN value for port 48, that’s 98.79MB, the rest are nan, the Total IN at the bottom is 98.79MB.

In your example it’s 40.34MB+0.261MB = 40.601MB which is what the Total OUT is showing.

Both of the Total IN and OUT values then add up to the TOTAL value of 139.39MB.

Thanks to the guys who helped find the problem.
I also created a new LAB in the company environment and installed the latest version of Librenms.( 23.11.0-51-g0028311e1 - Tue Dec 19 2023 14:07:27 GMT+0800)

I added a new HP switch and collected traffic for two days

OUT 94.79kb + 52.32kb + 9.15kb = 156.25kb (but librenms out total is 137.77kb)

Just like the pictures I posted before
1/1/5 in 668.30Mb + 1/1/6 in 865.84Mb = 1617.3Mb ,Already greater than the total value

This has not yet added other in port traffic

Does anyone know how this value is defined?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.