Windows Services Feature Request

As I can tell there isn’t a easy way to implement Windows Services in LibreNMS.

I’d like to request a feature that automatically scan the Windows Services and add only the running services at the moment of discovery, deletion of a single Windows Service should also be possible.

When Windows Services are being discovered they should be by default ignored ( checkbox: Checked ), this way you’ll be able to pick your own critical service you want to monitor.

We have critical Windows Services we want to monitor and we have like 100+ Windows Servers we need to monitor.

Here is a sample list of the OID’s i’ve gathered.

svSvcTable 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3
svSvcEntry 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3.1
- svSvcName 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3.1.1
- svSvcInstalledState 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3.1.2
- svSvcOperatingState 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3.1.3
- svSvcCanBeUninstalled 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3.1.4
- svSvcCanBePaused 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3.1.5

OID Source: http://www.oidview.com/mibs/77/LanMgr-Mib-II-MIB.html

how about NSClient++?
https://www.nsclient.org/
I used it in the old Cacti days :wink:

I realize this is a very old feature request, but wanted to bring it back to the forefront.

I understand that there are other ways to get Windows Services such as using a plugin on the Windows hosts to build rules with Nagios plugins, but there should be a way to scan that OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.77.1.2.3 for active (running) services. Then display them inside the GUI. From there, if you want to monitor the state of the service, you add a rule for the host to see if that service exists from the OID list. If it does, then it’s up. If it disappears, it’s down.

While the plugin route seems lots easier, there are security concerns with adding 3rd party software on servers. Not to mention having to manually update hundreds of servers if a new release to patch a security hole comes out.

I would think that this should be achievable, but I’m no coder. I’m just familiar with monitoring tools and there’s a product in the solarwinds arsenal that handles monitoring services through snmp in this fashion and it seems to work quite well.

Thoughts?

This feature sounds like it would be very useful!

It would certainly solve the issue of monitoring Windows services without the need of WMI or plugins and keep everything within the SNMP realm.