Any guide for migrating librenms to new server with same cpu architecture?

Hi guys,

Were planning to migrate our librenms server to new server but with same cpu architecture, I’ve read this section(FAQ - LibreNMS Docs) from the faq’s page but still getting confuse.

It is stated that

" * Install LibreNMS as per our normal documentation; you don’t need to run through the web installer or building the sql schema."

But which part should I stop from the normal documentation? Installing LibreNMS - LibreNMS Docs

Already made the necessary backups(database, rrd, config files, etc)

Well you need to make sure the dependencies are installed, the database is in a state to receive your backup and the web server is configured. Then you can restore your backups. If you changed some things like paths, host names and user password for the database you have to change the relevant configs in your restored backups.

BTW CPU architecture is mostly irrelevant for webapplications like LibreNMS. Normally on binary files are affected by a architecture change.

Thanks for your insights.

As I have read the documentation of librenms - FAQ - LibreNMS Docs

I’m a bit confused because I can’t find some real life example of the librenms migration since its my first time doing this.

Do you still need help with this or are you sorted? Reach out if you need help.

1 Like

Yes, I still need a help with this one, we have almost 110 devices on our librenms and it would be troublesome if I’ll start over with a new installation on the new server.

I migrated mine not too long ago, so what part in the steps are you not sure of?

If you are moving from one CPU architecture to another then you will need to dump the rrd files and re-create them. If you are in this scenario then you can use Dan Brown’s migration scripts.

If you are just moving to another server with the same CPU architecture then the following steps should be all that’s needed:

Install LibreNMS as per our normal documentation; you don’t need to run through the web installer or building the sql schema.
Stop cron by commenting out all lines in /etc/cron.d/librenms
Dump the MySQL database librenms from your old server (mysqldump librenms -u root -p > librenms.sql)…
and import it into your new server (mysql -u root -p librenms < librenms.sql).
Copy the rrd/ folder to the new server.
Copy the .env and config.php files to the new server.
Check for modified files (eg specific os, …) with git status and migrate them.
Ensure ownership of the copied files and folders (substitute your user if necessary) - chown -R librenms:librenms /opt/librenms
Delete old pollers on the GUI (gear icon → Pollers → Pollers)
Validate your installation (/opt/librenms/validate.php)
Re-enable cron by uncommenting all lines in /etc/cron.d/librenms

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.