Defunct processes

Hi,

We’ve ran into an issue twice where we end up with around 400+ rrdtool defunct processes. We had then seen a few weird issues, such as reporting some BGP errors when there were none.

====================================

Component Version
LibreNMS 1.30
DB Schema 200
PHP 7.0.16
MySQL 5.5.52-MariaDB
RRDTool 1.6.0
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.2
====================================

[OK] Database connection successful
[OK] Database schema correct
[WARN] Your local git branch is not master, this will prevent automatic updates.

So we were wondering if this was a known issue? I hadn’t seen anything in the forums about it and so far we had rebooted the server to “fix” it, but next time we might start with restarting php-fpm first.

It is running on CentOS 7.3.1611, kernel 3.10 and Nginx 1.10.2-1.

Thanks again

are you running memcached?

No we aren’t and it’s not even installed on the system

What version is $config['rrdtool_version'] set to?

In config.php? It isn’t defined

Hi,

I wanted to unfortunately revive this topic to see if anyone else had a clue, as we’ve had it happen again and ended up restarting the system since it was starting to cause false alarms. Only difference is that we are now at these versions:

Version 1.32 - Sun Oct 01 2017 14:58:39 GMT-0400
DB Schema #209
Web Server nginx/1.10.2
PHP 7.0.22
MySQL 5.5.52-MariaDB
RRDtool 1.6.0

Thanks again

in your config.php did you specify the version for rrd

$config['rrdtool_version'] = '1.6.0';

No, it wasn’t, but we hadn’t set up rrdcached either, and I thought it was only required for that part of the installation. I guess this means it’s good practice to configure this statement all the time?

It only makes a difference if you are using rrdcached, which frankly everyone should be using.