Manage group new device group fail

Hello, i have a new installation, everything work fine but when i try to create a new device group i have the flowwing error.
PLease Help.

[2019-06-20 10:54:54] production.ERROR: file_put_contents(/opt/librenms/cache/devices_relationships.cache): failed to open stream: Permission denied {“userId”:1,“email”:“XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”,“exception”:"[object] (ErrorException(code: 0): file_put_contents(/opt/librenms/cache/devices_relationships.cache): failed to open stream: Permission denied at /opt/librenms/LibreNMS/DB/Schema.php:173)
[stacktrace]
#0 [internal function]: Illuminate\Foundation\Bootstrap\HandleExceptions->handleError(2, ‘file_put_conten…’, ‘/opt/librenms/L…’, 173, Array)
#1 /opt/librenms/LibreNMS/DB/Schema.php(173): file_put_contents(’/opt/librenms/c…’, ‘a:2:{s:7:"versi…’)
#2 /opt/librenms/LibreNMS/Alerting/QueryBuilderFilter.php(92): LibreNMS\DB\Schema->getAllRelationshipPaths()
#3 /opt/librenms/LibreNMS/Alerting/QueryBuilderFilter.php(57): LibreNMS\Alerting\QueryBuilderFilter->generateTableFilter()
#4 /opt/librenms/app/Http/Controllers/DeviceGroupController.php(42): LibreNMS\Alerting\QueryBuilderFilter->__construct(‘group’)
#5 [internal function]: App\Http\Controllers\DeviceGroupController->create()
#6 /opt/librenms/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Routing/Controller.php(54): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#7 /opt/librenms/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Routing/ControllerDispatcher.php(45): Illuminate\Routing\Controller->callAction(‘create’, Array)
#8 /opt/librenms/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Routing/Route.php(219): Illuminate\Routing\ControllerDispatcher->dispatch(Object(Illuminate\Routing\Route), Object(App\Http\Cont

Run ./validate.php and check your permissions. You might need to do chmod g+w /opt/librenms/cache

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer, but it does not work.
drwxr-xr-x. 2 librenms librenms 45 Jun 20 11:09 cache
[root@localhost ~]# /opt/librenms/validate.php

Component Version
LibreNMS 1.52-54-g1a60c44
DB Schema 2019_05_30_225937_device_groups_rewrite (135)
PHP 7.2.17
MySQL 5.5.60-MariaDB
RRDTool 1.4.8
SNMP NET-SNMP 5.7.2
====================================

[OK] Composer Version: 1.8.6
[OK] Dependencies up-to-date.
[OK] Database connection successful
[OK] Database schema correct

We also encountered the same problem, for possible file permissions have been adjusted (even 777), still no improvement.

In today test, will be “/opt/librenms/LibreNMS/DB/Schema.PHP” line 173 make annotations, can solve this case:

file_put_contents($cache_file, serialize($cache));
to
// file_put_contents($cache_file, serialize($cache));

But I’m not sure this is causing any other problems, the above provides reference.

Please could you check the lines, are two the same.
thanks for the answer.

Yes, I put a double slash on this line to prevent it from executing.

aaaaa, ok thanks a lot, i will try.

Thanks a lot, this solve the problem.
We will keep monitoring to check if this generate any other issue.

BR

Don’t do that it will cause a LOT of wasted cpu cycles!

You just need to fix the permissions so both the webserver and the poller can write to that file/directory.

Thanks for the warning Murrat, could you please explain better the way to fix the permission to solve this issue??

BR

Yes, I know it is a permission problem, but I have tried a lot of methods, but there is no way to solve it, as follows:

chmod g+w /opt/librenms/cache
chmod 777 /opt/librenms/cache

touch /opt/librenms/cache/devices_relationships.cache
chown librenms:librenms /opt/librenms/cache/devices_relationships.cache

chmod 664 /opt/librenms/cache/*
setfacl -R -m g::rwx /opt/librenms/cache

Ok so i sort of replicated this on my daily branch, my other release branch server is ok but different environment completely.

librenms user is in the www-data group

Click “New Device Group” - Something went wrong, check logs/librenms.log
Full Stack trace https://pastebin.com/raw/qUkPzWZU

devices_relationships.cache was owned by librenms:librenms

File: devices_relationships.cache
  Size: 5979            Blocks: 16         IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 801h/2049d      Inode: 1182620     Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (  999/librenms)   Gid: (  999/librenms)
Access: 2019-07-11 16:16:17.716875995 +0100
Modify: 2019-07-09 10:23:10.813061295 +0100
Change: 2019-07-11 16:15:42.915964900 +0100
 Birth: -

Then i was just playing around,

chown librenms:www-data devices_relationships.cache (didn’t work)
chown www-data:www-data devices_relationships.cache (worked, can now create device group)

changed back:

chown librenms:www-data devices_relationships.cache (worked , didn’t before)
chown librenms:librenms devices_relationships.cache (works again, don’t see what changed)

Hope that might help :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Jason_Cheng is your web server a member of the librenms group?

Ho sorry, my lab this problem is solved after the engineer run daily.sh on July 14,
so it is can’t to confirm whether it was originally in librenms group.

But the lab web (nginx) is librenms group right now.

The following commands should fix the problem, at least it works on my machine.

sudo setfacl -d -m g::rwx /opt/librenms/cache/
sudo chmod -R ug=rwX /opt/librenms/cache/

1 Like

Thank you! This resolved my issue with creating Device Groups!