Multiple snmp communities per device

hi,
would it generally be possible to implement multiple communities on a single device?

The reason is by the fact that some devices are implemented as hybrids.

I currently try to implement new device NOKIA ISAM Platform. They actually have implemented different snmp context on a single device with single IP Address. So in Fact there are multiple device OID instances on same device, distinguished only by community name.
.1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1 Alcatel/Nokia ASAM/ISAM Plattform
.1.3.6.1.4.1.6527 IHUB Platform based on Timetra Routing Plattform

To gater all the information from the device, the only way is to poll both OIDs from the same IP Address.
How could this be implemented in a single device view?

on the other side we have sometime devices with different IP Interfaces (LAN, WAN) that may have different FQDNs but belongs to same device.

One possible way to handle that would be a splitting the device table into two, so we could store more than one IP interface, community or FQDN per device.

The question is how to do that without broke the current database. I think we need some migration way to achieve that.

Need to discus that.

1 Like

Hi!

Did you manage to solve this somehow? I’m trying to achieve something similar. I would like to monitor all PON SFP (context NT) and also standard ports for traffic (context ihub) but dont need onts. Traffic per PON port woould be nice too :slight_smile:

regards
Dejan

Maybe allowing multiple devices with same ip can achive this, fe two devices with same ip but different community.

Hello!
I’d like to bump this.

It’s very important feature, my opinion. Many network devices use multiple snmp communities / snmp context name / snmp v3 username to distinguish a context within single host. In example, Fortinet security appliances use separate snmp username for same objects in different VDOMs. Therefore, one cannot discover all of the objects using only one possible username.
How do I imagine it should work? In host configuration in LibreNMS there should be ability of configuring multiple snmp interfaces. Objects discovery then executed for each of the configured interfaces.Objects found are associated with corresponding snmp interface and this information is used for polling.