Upgrading Ubuntu 20 to Ubuntu 22 and PHP 8.1

Hi,

I am currently running ubuntu 20, can I use the ubuntu upgrade commands to upgrade to ubuntu 22 which I assume will also upgrade PHP to the latest stable version or is this not the proper way to upgrade to a compatible PHP version?

My ubuntu install is on a VM, I’ll be taking a snapshot before any upgrade is attempted, but I wanted to ask, first.

Thanks.

Yes, take a snapshot first then upgrade to 22.04 should be enough. Run validate after to make sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, starting that process now.

Upgrade completed and server has been rebooted. However, it appears something has broken in the process.

I see librenms as the user and running ‘ls’ shows me all the librenms files, I see validate.php in the list.

When I type ./validate.php and press enter, it returns

/usr/bin/env: ‘php’ : No such file or directory.

When I attempt to launch the web gui, I see ‘502 Bad Gateway
nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)’

Thanks.

I just ran do-release-upgrade on one of my 20.04 servers. Some things were missing after, so I ran the apt install line from the install docs:

apt install acl curl fping git graphviz imagemagick mariadb-client mariadb-server mtr-tiny nginx-full nmap php-cli php-curl php-fpm php-gd php-gmp php-json php-mbstring php-mysql php-snmp php-xml php-zip rrdtool snmp snmpd whois unzip python3-pymysql python3-dotenv python3-redis python3-setuptools python3-systemd python3-pip

I also had to configure the php-fpm pool from the docs, since it already exists, I just copied it:

cp /etc/php/7.4/fpm/pool.d/librenms.conf /etc/php/8.1/fpm/pool.d/librenms.conf
systemctl restart php8.1-fpm

Then run ./daily.sh to switch back to the main release from the support branch (or wait for it to run)

su - librenms
./daily.sh

Double check validate for other known issues. I had to fix php timezone too.

If you have any issues compare against the install documentation. I am using nginx+php-fpm.

4 Likes

After running the above two commands, the librenms GUI now loads, big thank you for that!

Running the daily.sh put librenms back to the correct branch and updated the codebase. I ran validate.php and the issue it found was the time being off. Before I edit that I’m going to take another snapshot of this VM because the upgrade took quite some time and I want a new restore point. After that I will correct the time issue.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.