Would you like to help the LibreNMS project?

As a fully Open Source project, LibreNMS relies on users to help with a variety of aspects to keep things going. The wide range of support we need means that hopefully there is something for everyone to get involved in. If you’ve considered helping before or are looking for ways to get involved then hopefully this post will inspire you to take that first step :slight_smile:

Areas can you get involved in:

Design. We have a variety of places that would benefit from someone skilled in user interfaces and design.

Documentation. This always needs improving to make it easier for newcomers to get to grips with what we offer. More examples and walk throughs wouldn’t hurt either. Every single page on http://docs.librenms.org is editable :slight_smile:

Coding. If you can write php then we’re a perfect match. 95% of our code is in php (we also have some python, bash and other languages in that mix)

Support. If you use the software and can lend a hand answering some of the questions other may have then we’re looking for people to assist on GitHub issues, this community forum, Reddit and Discord. This could be in an official capacity if you want to be heavily involved or you may just want to hang around and help where you can.

If any of this is of interest then feel free to get in touch with anyone of the team [[email protected]]

4 Likes

Hi Laf,

I hope all is well, we have been quite quiet of late on other projects however we are keen to help out where we can.

Unfortunately we are not able to lend coding support or graphic design however I am able to get to work with documentation and supporting others on the community pages.

How is best to get involved?

Kind Regards

Alastair Chamorro
VoIP Unlimited

Hey Alastair,

No worries :slight_smile:

For documentation, we have a tag on GitHub marked to show where we need to improve things: https://github.com/librenms/librenms/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ADocumentation

It’s not got many things in so if docs are where you want to help then it could be worth you picking some existing ones you have the most experience with and going through to see if they can be improved, cleaned up or made clearer.

Alerting docs is a big one we should tackle, maybe break down into two pages, a simple getting started then a more detailed what can you do with rules, transports, etc.

If you think we are missing any docs then those would also be good to create.

Thanks for that link/hint Laf. I’ll definitely look at the documentation aspect, since I’m not a great coder but could at least try to help there here and there. It’s a great project, which makes it even more important to help where we can!

Thank you @sjohnson

Also, you don’t have to be a great coder allot us are not and just do what we can and submit changes or fixes. Allot people shy away from helping with code but that where we need the most help.