Alert if device is down for XXX amount of time

Hello,

I’m trying to setup an alert to only trigger when a device is down for longer than 30secs. Is this possible?

Thanks!

The default polling period is 5 minutes, so it would have to detect it being down when it polls. If you set the alert delay to 30, it will delay the alert for 30 seconds. If it comes back during that time it won’t generate an alert. I’m not sure if it polls more often for down devices, so if a device goes down it will probably always be detected as down for at least 5 minutes.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I didn’t realize that the delay would recheck before sending the alert.

I’ve tried the alert delay (30 seconds) and I’m still getting a lot of false positive device down alerts. With that said, I don’t believe the alert delay checks again before sending the alerts, I think it only delays the alert.

can you post the alert you having trouble with?

%devices.status != “1” &&

Max: 3
Delay: 30
Interval: 300

whats showing down when that rule triggers SNMP or ICMP?

ICMP seems to be triggering the alert.

Sounds like your device is not responding fast enough to the ICMP response.

Try adding this to your config.php

$config[‘fping_options’][‘retries’] = 5;
$config[‘fping_options’][‘timeout’] = 1000;
$config[‘fping_options’][‘count’] = 4;
$config[‘fping_options’][‘millisec’] = 1000;

Thanks, I will give that a try as that might help with the false positives I’m getting.

With that said, that still doesn’t answer my original question. Is it possible to make an alert that only triggers if a device is down for XXX amount of time?

Oh yes, you could try and add to the rule macros.past_5m and it goes up to 60m

Kevin, could you please give me an example, I’ve never used macros.past_5m before.

sure try something like this…you pbly gonna have to play with to get it were it works for you tho…

Thank you! This is more inline with what I was originally looking for.

Am I only limited to 5m,10m,15m,30m,60m presettings or am I able to set my own, like 1m for example?

Look in the Global Settings you should see the macros in there…at present doesn’t look like you can change the macros past. Maybe someone else will chime in and say different.

I’m back…

I’ve tried the following alert rule and it doesn’t seem to be working:

%devices.status != “1” && %macros.past_5m = “1”

Max: 3
Delay: 0

I have a device that’s been down for 3 hours now and it never triggered this rule.

welcome back Joe,
try this one

%macros.past_5m = %devices.status != “1” &&

Max: 1
Delay: 300

Kevin,

I’ve tried that as well and it doesn’t seem to work.

Looking at the LibreNMS github page, the %macros.past_5m returns a timestamp so I think this will ever work.

I don’t want to give up hope, there has to be a way to do this!

Joe,

Can you use the Delay:300 functions?

As I said before the delay function only delays the alert, it doesn’t recheck the device to see if it’s still an issue.

I want to be alerted if a device is down for XXX amount of time.